Joodge

Re: So, if the border isn't open...

Post by Joodge »

inmortus wrote:
> The only thing that keeps me going is to think
> that I am just one out of many other teachers in exactly the same
> situation. If, I hope not, most borders to remain closed and such, I
> suspect many schools will do late hiring (seeking teachers who are already
> in the same country/region) and I might be able to find another job then...

And that is my Plan B
wander

Post by wander »

I have had a couple of meetings with my new school about different scenarios that may unfold. I have been told that all new teachers will have their contracts honored, even if we can’t get into the country for the start of the school year. The school is doing everything possible to work with the government to get us in, even if borders are still closed. There is a possibility that I will begin the year teaching remotely from the states. They are even going to throw in some extra money for rent if we need to stay in our home country longer than expected.

Any decent school should have already developed a plan for what they are going to do in August. I would be very concerned if my school was not addressing this issue directly. I would ask them point blank if your contract is guaranteed next year under all scenarios. If they are not willing or able to answer that question then I’d start poking around to see what else is out there.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@wander

So youve been told something, is that the sole extent of your guarantee? If so then its nothing, its nothing more than the grin and handshake of a used car salesman saying "trust me". Whats to stop your IS or your leadership saying, sorry things have changed our enrollment is down, were still doing online, parents didnt pay tuition/fees, we cant get visas, our goldfish died, sorry we are rescinding the contract. Poof its all gone, whats the guarantee mean then? Unless theres some insurance scheme or policy, or legal recourse or the IS is transferring coin to your account in advance your guarantee is pillow talk, whispers on the wind.
3jobsperyear

Post by 3jobsperyear »

Its a risky proposition for sure: contract in hand but the border is closed.
Honestly though, I've never had such a good contract in hand and I suspect it's only because the school is desperate for lack of teachers.
I'm thinking there are opportunities now but they come with a risk.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i would say C but depending on the school, option D. this would involve hiring teachers already within the country at a reduced salary/benefits (i wouldn't say local hire numbers but minus some of the stuff, e.g. initial flight into the country). but it's totally dependent on each two-week block that we go through from now until mid-august.

to be quite honest, being from canada and how close it is to the US, i feel way safer staying overseas this summer.

good luck!

v.
wander

Re: Discussion

Post by wander »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @wander
>
> So youve been told something, is that the sole extent of your guarantee? If
> so then its nothing, its nothing more than the grin and handshake of a used
> car salesman saying "trust me". Whats to stop your IS or your
> leadership saying, sorry things have changed our enrollment is down, were
> still doing online, parents didnt pay tuition/fees, we cant get visas, our
> goldfish died, sorry we are rescinding the contract. Poof its all gone,
> whats the guarantee mean then? Unless theres some insurance scheme or
> policy, or legal recourse or the IS is transferring coin to your account in
> advance your guarantee is pillow talk, whispers on the wind.

I generally tend to ignore your posts because I think 90% of what you have to say you just pull out of thin air, but since you replied to me directly then I’ll respond.

I have zero reason to doubt my school is being honest with me. It’s a reputable school, they have been upfront and on top of things through this entire situation, and they have already wired my moving allowance. I am simply sharing my experience. I am 100% confident that my contract will be honored. The point I was making to the original poster was that I would be concerned if my school had not shared a detailed plan yet on how they will handle this situation.
TheHuman

Post by TheHuman »

The Beijinger, a Chinese news source, had a recent article stating that China won't be resuming most international flights until at least October. In addition, I've from a few reliable sources that foreigners will not be allowed back in to China until late fall/early winter 2020.

China is likely waiting to see if there will be a 2nd wave in the fall. If there is, I don't expect foreigners will be allowed in for a long time.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@wander

So hope, thats your guarantee. You dont have a guarantee you have assurances, that an an empty sack will give you something to carry youre hope around with you.
At last youre in a better position than most, your IS is advancing you funds. I 'hope' youve had a talk with them about relocation and flights should they spike and they grossly exceed your allowance, and that they are going to pay for the ticket(s) and not reimburse you dependent on you arriving.
wander

Post by wander »

I think people need to be very careful about how they handle this situation. Yes, it's making us all anxious. However, most teachers are going to be just fine. We may not arrive at the time we were supposed to, but we will get there when the borders open. I don't think applying for and accepting multiple jobs and hoping one of them works out is the best advice. We all know what a small world international teaching is. You could be putting your reputation and your career at risk.

Reach out to your school and ask if your contract is guaranteed for 2020-2021. If they are unwilling or unable to answer that question THEN you need to explore options. That may mean that you ask to be released from the contract and search for something else. If your school has told you that your job is safe then that's really the best they can do. I'm not sure what people expect from them. Do you want them to wire you $10,000 as a guarantee? I feel like too many people work from the idea that all of these schools are just out to screw teachers when given the chance. The vast majority of schools want to do right by their staff. If you accepted a job at one of the exceptions then I suspect you are aware of that.
t_rock

Post by t_rock »

[quote=wander post_id=59060 time=1590355292 user_id=239918]
I think people need to be very careful about how they handle this situation. Yes, it's making us all anxious. However, most teachers are going to be just fine. We may not arrive at the time we were supposed to, but we will get there when the borders open. I don't think applying for and accepting multiple jobs and hoping one of them works out is the best advice. We all know what a small world international teaching is. You could be putting your reputation and your career at risk.
[/quote]

There are a multitude of other considerations for a teacher in this position, rather than the risk to one's reputation:
- Is it safe to travel to the destination? Are you putting you or your family's health at risk? What if your government continues to put a travel advisory for your new destination country even after the borders re-open? You risk being SOL if the situation spirals out of control again (I know people who have been stuck in a hotel room for 2.5 months).
- While the school might pay for a lot of things, will they pay for your 14-day quarantine when the borders initially re-open? The much more expensive flights? If not, these will cut into your savings potential (I've read a 2-week quarantine in China when they are ready to receive foreigners again will be something like $70 USD/night = $2100).
- When you arrive, will you be allowed freedom of movement? Will you be able enjoy your leisure time and ability to travel around without having to suffer more quarantines? What if there is a second-wave (seems inevitable) and we're right back to square one?

I think it's ok to say: "Look, when we signed our contracts we were expecting X but now the situation is Y and that's not going to work for us at this moment. Extraordinary circumstances, yada yada yada..."
wander

Post by wander »

@t_rock

I absolutely agree with you. I'm just saying that these are conversations people should be having with their new school now. If you are no longer comfortable with the job, for whatever reason, you should ask to be released from the contract. I know my current school and future school have both told new hires that they will release them without any problem if the teacher feels that is what's best for their family.

I don't think it's advisable for teachers to be out there accepting multiple jobs and then picking one when the time comes.
t_rock

Post by t_rock »

wander wrote:
> @t_rock
>
> I absolutely agree with you. I'm just saying that these are conversations
> people should be having with their new school now. If you are no longer
> comfortable with the job, for whatever reason, you should ask to be
> released from the contract. I know my current school and future school
> have both told new hires that they will release them without any problem if
> the teacher feels that is what's best for their family.
>
> I don't think it's advisable for teachers to be out there accepting
> multiple jobs and then picking one when the time comes.

Another issue is if China decides to devalue its currency, as looks likely, it's going to cut big time into savings potential in that country. If it devalues from 7:1 to 8:1 you're looking at a 15% or so loss of value if you plan to remit to a Western bank account.
3jobsperyear

Post by 3jobsperyear »

[quote=t_rock post_id=59074 time=1590463239 user_id=248358]
wander wrote:
> @t_rock
>
> I absolutely agree with you. I'm just saying that these are conversations
> people should be having with their new school now. If you are no longer
> comfortable with the job, for whatever reason, you should ask to be
> released from the contract. I know my current school and future school
> have both told new hires that they will release them without any problem if
> the teacher feels that is what's best for their family.
>
> I don't think it's advisable for teachers to be out there accepting
> multiple jobs and then picking one when the time comes.

Another issue is if China decides to devalue its currency, as looks likely, it's going to cut big time into savings potential in that country. If it devalues from 7:1 to 8:1 you're looking at a 15% or so loss of value if you plan to remit to a Western bank account.
[/quote]

I'm accepting multiple job offers - I need to protect my income stream.
TheHuman

Post by TheHuman »

@t_rock

Our school pays us in USD, so China devaluing it's currency would be a benefit. It happened to me once before. A country I lived in devalued it's currency by almost 50% due to low oil prices. Everything suddenly became dirt cheap. I lived like a king. A colleague of mine went out and bought a very expensive imported electronic device for half off the day it happened, before the store had a chance to adjust the prices. Inflation skyrocketed on imported items, but locally made items and food did not seem to be effected for a while.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@wander

How is it not the best advice? It improves your hit rate?
How do you know most ITs will be fine? Do you have any basis for that, or is it just @wander claims it to be so? How do you define "most" is that all appointments globally irrespective of location or something else?
IE isnt that small actually.
How would you be putting your reputation and career as risk? Theres no black list.
What does that "guarantee" mean, as posted earlier? If its just the word of some leader over a phone call or even email, its an assurance its not a guarantee. Nothing protects you if when that day comes the IS rescinds the contract. What are you going to do, write back "But you said on X date, that my position was guaranteed" and if the IS responds at all its going to be "Were really sorry but circumstances have changed", whats "really sorry" worth, whats that guarantee worth? Its nothing more than some used car salesperson saying "trust me".
Why would you ask to be released from your contract, how is that better? Then youd go from having one maybe/maybe not job to having nothing. The idea is to improve your security not substitute one insecure position for another insecure position, but by adding multiple insecure position to improve your job security.
You dont need permission to job search, its very unlikely that there is any term or clause in your contract that prohibits it. Youre not a slave or an indentured servant.
USD$10K would be a significant demonstration of commitment. Thats what ITs are doing. Theyre committing their productivity which has coin value in a closed market. Youre putting your skin in the game, what skin is the IS putting in if not coin?

@t_rock

I concur, no one in IE is going to protect the ITs interests more than the IT.
Currency devaluation is a significant issue for ITs whose contracts arent written in a western currency. Its one issue to have an assurance of a job, for whatever thats worth, its another issue of what that job is worth in coin when expectations of its value where X and now some significant devaluation makes the contract worth much less than X. I agree with @3jobsperyear, you need to protect your income stream, no one else is going to.