Staying for the Summer, or flying home for a visit?

Illiane_Blues

Staying for the Summer, or flying home for a visit?

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Just wondering: of those of you who are not switching schools, how many of you are flying home for the Summer, and who has decided to spend the Summer in your country of residence?
Many teachers at my school are staying because flights might get cancelled and they don't want to do two quarantines.
marieh

Re: Staying for the Summer, or flying home for a visit?

Post by marieh »

I'm staying. I'd rather be stuck in the country where my job is.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Still plenty of countries where international flights are not operating and may not be for some time. Fairly easy decision then...
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

We were planning to stay this Summer anyway, but if we would have planned to go back to visit family for the Summer we would have changed those plans and stayed. There are still flights going but I don't want to risk a second wave and see those flights disappear.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

We don't want to go through two sets of quarantine. We've already asked our landlord if we can stay extra month. Our new school is a 2 1/2 hour flight away (different country) and that's quite enough. To be honest I'd rather not get on a plane at all.
BRMC

Post by BRMC »

We are staying. We could take one of the repatriation flights that depart every few days, but decided to stick around because, as Marieh stated, this is where are jobs are. Some teachers have left on repatriation flights, and hope to get flights back in once school opens up.
sid

Post by sid »

Staying where my job is.
mamava

Post by mamava »

We flew back to the States in March. Quarantine was easy since we are working full days. When we go back, we'll have to do a 7 day quarantine, so it's not too bad. Being back in the States for distance learning was a lifesaver--we are planning to open with a blended program in August, but if we don't and have to stay online, I hope we'll be able to stay on here rather than go back. We would be stuck in an apartment--no parks, not pools, walking is not safe, etc.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Only 7 days of quarantine?
With the incubation period being between 5 and 14 days, that sounds risky.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

We have just booked an in-country holiday ourselves, hoping we will get a voucher or reimbursement for the flights home we already booked.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Most of our returning teachers who are still in country are staying for the summer. Friends in similar situations in other countries are also staying.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Staying theres nothing to do in my HOR anyway, everythings closed.
TheHuman

Post by TheHuman »

We went back home in January for CNY and have been doing online instruction ever since. I'm glad we did because where we live had few cases and never really went into lock down. Now everything has already reopened. Conversely, I know a few teachers that stayed and are now having to go back to work, where masks all day with the windows open (in a tropical climate) and continue to do their online lessons. In addition, they have almost no options to fly home and the few that exist are expensive and likely to be cancelled at the last minute.
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

for me it's way more dangerous at home than were i am, with people complaining about how their rights are infringed and how they're not gonna take it anymore. also, while i like my in-laws, 2 weeks with them in quarantine eats nearly half the time i have back home and also eats away at the sane half of my mind.

v.