Utah's Associate Educator License - new option?

chemteacher101

Utah's Associate Educator License - new option?

Post by chemteacher101 »

So, Utah took away the academic pathway they used to have. However, they now seem to have this "Associate Educator License" which (in short) is a 2 year license which you can get by having a Bachelor's degree, taking some online modules (not clear if they are free) and passing the relevant Praxis exams. The license is temporary, but the regulations state that the license may be renewed if "the individual has less than two years of experience in a Utah public or accredited private school".

Although some websites (not official ones) claim that it may only be renewed once, I can't seem to find anything about this on the official regulations ("Rule R277-301. Educator Licensing.").

I'm wondering if this means that it works similar as the MI license where a person could get this license and make it last forever (as long as they don't ever go to work in Utah). If this is the case, it would maybe be a new "cheap" option, which might be better than he MI option in that you can take Praxis exams outside of the USA.

Am I missing anything? I may, that's why I ask!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The APT pathway still exists though you cant initiate it anymore. The new Associate Educator License (AEL) (Entry grade) credential is the replacement credential, in some ways its better, in some its worse.

BETTER:
- A secondary IT no longer is required to take any exams if they have a degree/major in the teaching field eliminating testing entirely.
- Th meds/peds/asst requirement while new is a series of online modules, they are free to register for and complete.
- You can have more than one teaching endorsement under the AEL, whereas in the past the APT was limited to one secondary content area or primary.
- You can now obtain a SPED/SEN/LD, ESOL, etc. endorsement to the AEL credential

WORSE:
- The validity period is for 2 years and can be extended once for an additional year. The extension is likely going to require support from an LEA to obtain. There is no other available current renewal option.
- Theres a new online meds/peds/asst online requirement.

Since its effectively nonrenewable and with such a short validity this works best in the scenario where late in the recruiting cycle an otherwise non-IT spouse needs a credential for a teaching couple appointment or in the scenario on an ET or otherwise non-IT just wants to test the waters in entering IE. Its otherwise not the long term solution the MA credential.
chemteacher101

Re: Utah's Associate Educator License - new option?

Post by chemteacher101 »

Thanks for your information. I cannot seem to find where on the regulations it says that it can only be renewed once. Can you please share this? All I got d is that it can only be renewed if the individual has less than 2 years of experience...

https://casetext.com/regulation/utah-ad ... quirements
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

From the UT DOE, their interpretation is that the statute is discretionary "may only renew", and that such renewal or extension would need to be supported by an LEA. "May" allows the DOE discretion. In such a renewal case the DT obtained their credential but coudnt find or start work immediately but were working and just needed more time or supervising leadership thought they needed an extra year to determine the DTs suitability. Their offices intent is that this is a temporary credential to support a DTs learning to become a professional edu. They dont want or intend for the AEL to be a non-Utah means of circumventing external credentialing systems. Its probably going to be a case by case basis if you have a UT address and a low demand field you can probably get some renewal time out of it. If youre OS and they feel your just using the credential to work OS they probably arent going to be accommodating.
This could all change though, the DOE has 2 years to figure it out.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

@Psyguy

What are your thoughts on Indiana's "Charter School License"? If I understand correctly, one only needs to have a Bachelor's degree in the content area (or just a Bachelor's degree in another area and pass the relevant exam). Being an actual teaching license issued by the department of education of a state in the US, would this kind of license "work" for fulfilling international school's (and visa-related) requirements?

I'm literally just curious (I've covered my licensing needs but am intrigued at all the different pathways).

Here's a link to the license I'm talking about: https://www.doe.in.gov/licensing/faq-ch ... ol-license
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Wow, I clicked on that link and was initially surprised to see that it appears you can qualify for a teaching license by just having what would barely qualify you for a substitute teacher permit in many other states. Then I noticed it was Indiana, and I was no longer surprised...

https://www.salon.com/2013/08/10/why_mi ... t_partner/
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Totally agree. I'm just wondering how good (or bad) option this would be for say an experienced teacher with no actual teaching license. It would seem easier to get than the MS route, for example. But I don't know if the fact that it is specific for charter schools would make it a deal-breaker for international schools...Or not...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@chemteacher101

Its a Charter DS permit. State DOEs issue a variety of certificates, not all of them are professional credentials, and this one isnt a regular professional teaching credential, its doesnt authorize the holder to provide instructional services in all regulated DSs. Regular credentials must meet two criteria. They must be independently obtainable (not requiring sponsorship or support from an employer for example) and they must be without limit and restriction within the scope they are inscribed with in regulated DSs of the issuing regulatory authority. This doesnt meet those criteria, you cant use it in a public/maintained DS that isnt a Charter school, and anyone that reads it is going to know it limited based on the face of the certificate.
Would an IS accept it, sure some may, but those are going to be ISs that will accept anything. Would you be able to peddle it openly and freely on the circuit, no.
As too visa requirements you typically only need a bachelors/first degree to get into a country. Could you use this with an MOE that doesnt know any better, maybe.

@buffalofan

Yeah Indiana.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

chemteacher101 wrote:
> Totally agree. I'm just wondering how good (or bad) option this would be
> for say an experienced teacher with no actual teaching license. It would
> seem easier to get than the MS route, for example. But I don't know if the
> fact that it is specific for charter schools would make it a deal-breaker
> for international schools...Or not...

If you had that license, I would just list it very generically on the resume (Elementary Education - State of Indiana) and hope for the best. It might be ok for visa purposes. Whether it would be ok for your principal or director doing the hiring would be up to them. If you get an American principal and they see your cert says "Charter" and "Indiana", alarm bells might ring.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @buffalofan if thats really what you wanted to do. I just dont see much of a point. The UT AEL has equivalent requirements and the AEL is a regular credential. Take one more exam and you can get the effective lifetime provisional MA regular credential.
yourwind

Post by yourwind »

@Psyguy

Can we use UT AEL credentials to apply QTS or other states credentials?
Can non US-citizens/residents apply for MA credentials? If so, what we need to do is travel to MA to take and pass the exam? What's the pass rate? We don't have MEPI to register METL too.

Thanks.
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

yourwind wrote:
> @Psyguy
>
> Can we use UT AEL credentials to apply QTS or other states credentials?
> Can non US-citizens/residents apply for MA credentials? If so, what we need
> to do is travel to MA to take and pass the exam? What's the pass rate? We
> don't have MEPI to register METL too.
>
> Thanks.

Same question for me.
I just sent an email to the official QTS inquiries and wait for the answer.
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

Based on the lot of reading I did about licenses and other, while I did not get the answer specifically about this license, I believe it is not transferable.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@yourwind

No, you cant use the AEL to get QTS you could try, its new, someone might sneak through, but no. You could use the AEL to eventually get the HI standard (professional grade) credential. You would need to teach for two years on the AEL, then get a one year renewal from UT and then be able to get the HI standard credential after years of post credentialing experience.

Yes, non-US citizens can obtain MA credentials.
Some exams such as foreign language exams are only offer in MA but the other MTEL are available at testing centers throughout the US.
You can contact the MA DOE and they will issue you an MEPID if one isnt generated for you when you create an ELAR account.