China closed

shadowjack

Re: China closed

Post by shadowjack »

Zenteach - I suspect it will all be sorted for now. China is experiencing the second-wave of COVID and wants to prevent its spread again. Ironic, because reports I see say that 90% of the people returning with COVID are Chinese nationals.
t_rock

Post by t_rock »

[quote=zenteach post_id=58498 time=1585373001 user_id=217564]
How does this impact educators who already have contracts at schools in China for next school year? Does this mean they will not be able to work there?
[/quote]

A HOS told me today not to worry, the situation should be OK by July/August, but if it isn't, contracts are guaranteed and can teach online until the time comes to get visa and fly.

Can only speak with my experience; not sure other IS are taking the same line.
monkeycat

Post by monkeycat »

Our school was telling teachers who hadn't returned that once school re-opened they wouldn't get paid their salary until they returned to the classroom. But they were allowed to keep their benefits (insurance, housing, flight allowance etc). I don't know what their stance is going to be now that it's impossible for these teachers to return even if they wanted to. And there's no way any teachers are returning to China while this ban is in place. The idea that the Chinese government would make any exceptions for teachers, extraordinary or no, is laughable. I don't think any IS in China, no matter how unreasonable, would try to argue that teachers without Chinese passports could somehow find a way back right now.

Withholding their salary was our school's way of trying to get these teachers to suck it up and just come back, despite the fact that there's a mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine in place. It's doable if you are a single teacher, but some teachers have families with young kids. And some of the hotels are pretty awful, with food that is not in any way kid friendly. But's that all moot now, I suppose.

Schools can only hope that this ban won't last past the spring.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Our school did encourage teachers to come back, and many were making the move when the door was shut. Some made it, and others didn't. The canceling of flights was going on pretty regularly so it was tough for those who were trying. While many of our students are still in China, some students are also shut out with their families too.

If our campus is able to re-open, there will most likely be a hybrid model here for the end of the year because both teachers and students won't be able to return. There's no talk about penalizing teachers who didn't make it back. There is also no confirmation of our campus re-opening. Lots of uncertainty here which is wearing on everyone.

I was talking to my family and saying I'm not sure that I'll be leaving China for the summer. I definitely won't if they keep the ban on foreigners entering, but I'm not likely to do that even if they keep the 14 day quarantine in a hotel. I'd consider it if there was a 14 day quarantine in my own apartment. My family responded that thought it might not be a good idea to return given what's happening in the country any way.

@t_rock, I think the good schools will be reacting the same way. I suspect the limiting of foreigners is temporary until they can manage the flow of Chinese nationals who are returning. I think it's also why they limited flights into China.

I do have friends who are changing jobs and leaving China. I wonder about their ability to get their stuff all sorted out and moved if they're not in China. If I'm here I'll offer to help people if I can.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

My understanding was that China was struggling to curtail the large number of people coming back to China since many had to stay in hotels and such.

Yes it's hypocritical of the Chinese government to do this and over 90% of people people with Covid19 coming in being Chinese nationals - but I guess any small drop in numbers will be helpful
monkeycat

Post by monkeycat »

eion_padraig wrote:
> I was talking to my family and saying I'm not sure that I'll be leaving
> China for the summer. I definitely won't if they keep the ban on foreigners
> entering, but I'm not likely to do that even if they keep the 14 day
> quarantine in a hotel. I'd consider it if there was a 14 day quarantine in
> my own apartment. My family responded that thought it might not be a good
> idea to return given what's happening in the country any way.

We are thinking the same. We have a toddler and just finished the 14 day hotel quarantine. We got extremely lucky and were put in a decent hotel with kind staff members, in two rooms with a connecting door. But hotel quarantine is a crap shoot and people we know got put in really awful places. Some families were forced to split up. We are not risking that. Even if they allow you to quarantine at home, there is always the danger your flight will include someone with a fever and then suddenly you're put somewhere else. We've pretty much resigned ourselves to staying put this summer. (Also things back home are a shambles, and who knows what it will look like come July.)
IE_sciteacher

Post by IE_sciteacher »

To add to this, a NFP school in Tianjin has warned new staff that they may have to adjust their flights to arrive two weeks earlier than planned in case the 14 day quarantine is still in effect in July.

I am also in China currently in a different city and am starting to doubt being able to or it being logical to go home for the summer as there is a chance of a 14 day isolation once returning home and then a 14 day quarantine upon coming back to China. A month of isolation measures isn't worth it to me.
t_rock

Post by t_rock »

For those of you in China currently, have you detected a rise in anti-foreigner sentiment?

From what I gather, lawsuits are already being prepared in several US states and Australia against China for the coronavirus which will seek reparations and/or seizing businesses/land from Chinese companies. Meanwhile, Beijing is peddling some conspiracies of where the coronavirus originated from as they brace for a second wave of infections from people returning.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@mcfcok1989!

Im not assuming anything, only that an IS can certainly behave in the worst way possible as being within their capability of doing so. Even most of them doing so is pretty scary.
Yes they are two different things, moral fairness and an empty sack is worth an empty sack.
Bad reputation doesnt matter that much on the circuit, parents dont care what ITs think.

Its not impossible to enter China, you just have to be more exceptional than regular.

@mysharona

Yes thy can, they just have to be exceptional.

@SJ

Its a guess because its wrong. China is still issuing special entry permits to foreigners.

@Heliotrope

Youre friends failed because they were not exceptional enough. They could have absolutely been on that flight.
Top tier ISs can usually weather these types of losses better and longer than lower tier ISs.

@zenteach

That remains to be seen based on the pandemics development. Those contracts my very well be worthless.

@t_rock

No contract is guaranteed, its just paper unless the IS has already deposited your coin for the upcoming year in advance.
Yes there is a definite increase in animosity against foreigners.

@monkeycat

Its not laughable its true, if your an exceptional enough IT you can get in.
mcfcok1989!

Re: Reply

Post by mcfcok1989! »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @mcfcok1989!
>
> Im not assuming anything, only that an IS can certainly behave in the worst
> way possible as being within their capability of doing so. Even most of
> them doing so is pretty scary.
> Yes they are two different things, moral fairness and an empty sack is
> worth an empty sack.
> Bad reputation doesnt matter that much on the circuit, parents dont care
> what ITs think.
>
> Its not impossible to enter China, you just have to be more exceptional
> than regular.
>
> @mysharona
>
> Yes thy can, they just have to be exceptional.
>
> @SJ
>
> Its a guess because its wrong. China is still issuing special entry permits
> to foreigners.
>
> @Heliotrope
>
> Youre friends failed because they were not exceptional enough. They could
> have absolutely been on that flight.
> Top tier ISs can usually weather these types of losses better and longer
> than lower tier ISs.
>
> @zenteach
>
> That remains to be seen based on the pandemics development. Those contracts
> my very well be worthless.
>
> @t_rock
>
> No contract is guaranteed, its just paper unless the IS has already
> deposited your coin for the upcoming year in advance.
> Yes there is a definite increase in animosity against foreigners.
>
> @monkeycat
>
> Its not laughable its true, if your an exceptional enough IT you can get
> in.

Incorrect I'm afraid. No IT meets the criteria for 'exceptional' as defined by the Chinese government as no teacher IS exceptional - it is not going to change the fortunes of a significant part of the economy if one or two teachers are allowed. There is not one single story of any IT outside of China getting back in, or any being issued with visas to enter soon. Stop trolling please.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

As far as IE is concerned at least one of my friends that was denied would definitely be considered as very exceptional.
I suspect no IT will be considered exceptional.

Perhaps someone who has heard of an IT being able to fly back to China can report it here?
TheHuman

Post by TheHuman »

I heard from a person who works for one of the Chinese airlines that they were told by an official from the Chinese government that China is planning on reopening to foreigners in March 2021.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Yeah, I think I'll take that nugget of information with a bucket of salt.

Eion
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

TheHuman,

if all the companies that invest in China are going to have to wait for March 2021 for personnel changes, etc, then China is going to take an even bigger hit than it already has.

So no, unless the CCP wants chaos on hand, it will be reopening to foreigners long before March 2021. I am thinking June or July, but no later than September/October.

However, my crystal ball is cracked, so what do I know? Just not March 2021...
wt2015

Post by wt2015 »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Yes thy can, they just have to be exceptional.

False

> @SJ
>
> Its a guess because its wrong. China is still issuing special entry permits
> to foreigners.

False

> @Heliotrope
>
> Youre friends failed because they were not exceptional enough. They could
> have absolutely been on that flight.
> Top tier ISs can usually weather these types of losses better and longer
> than lower tier ISs.

*Your - and False

> @monkeycat
>
> Its not laughable its true, if your an exceptional enough IT you can get in.
*You're and False