Questions about ABCTE

cu1414

Questions about ABCTE

Post by cu1414 »

Hello all,

I am an international graduate student in math and want to teach in US after completing the degree. ABCTE seems a reasonable option to me (I know ABCTE does not have a good reputation on this forum). Anyway I would like to clarify several things about this program.

1) First and foremost, does ABCTE require applicant to be US citizen?

2) As far as I understand the program itself does not include teaching placement. Students typically finish the online study, pass their exams, find a teaching position under temporary certificate, and ultimately obtain a state certificate. Will they help me to find a teaching position? Under the temporary certificate will I in principle be able to teach at any school in any state that recognizes ABCTE or is there a restricted list of schools?

3) Since I am an international student, will I need to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) prior to enrolling in the program, or at least prior to teaching?

Other general information about certificate is also welcome.

Thank you.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You dont need to be a US citizen to get the ABCTE certificate but its not really worth anything. You will very likely have problems getting credentialed with their partner DOEs that issue credentials.

No they wont, you have to get your own job, and youll need an LEA or DS to sponsor you for a US immigrant work visa.
No the temporary permit is issued for a specific state (one that partners with ABCTE) and typically would be issued for a single LEA, DS that provides you the job.

No you wont need OPT, because you wont be getting a student visa. ABCTE is basically a really well developed online test preparation program with state credentialing DOE partnerships. This isnt a way of getting a visa to study or work in the US.