Norwegian salaries? Anyone out there teaching in Norway?

DomeVet

Norwegian salaries? Anyone out there teaching in Norway?

Post by DomeVet »

I have 15 years classroom experience and a masters of education. I was quoted 50,000 Euros as a salary. That seems low and wondering if there was a mistake as Norwegian teachers are apparently paid a good salary. Does anyone have any info on this?
sid

Re: Norwegian salaries? Anyone out there teaching in Norway?

Post by sid »

You might need to recalibrate your understanding of “good salary”.
Norway has benefits that go beyond salary. Good retirement. Good social benefits like medical and maternity. Also high taxes.
Salaries are relatively flat there compared to much of the world, with less difference between the lowest and highest. You get enough to live a pleasant life with security and benefits. You don’t get enough to splash out, which is not a Norwegian cultural value anyway. And if you don’t stay long term, then you might not want to stay long, as you’d have trouble saving for retirement. But if you do stay, saving for retirement won’t be such a burden because Norway will take care of you.
DomeVet

Post by DomeVet »

Thanks Sid.
A retired teacher friend of mine gives talks at Norwegian schools annually. He said young teachers there were all driving top of the line Tesla's. But I am interested in pensions over salaries and hoping in my early 50s it's not too late to build something in Norway.
Stay healthy!
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

Is this gross or net salary?
9, 10, 12 Months?
What is the OSH package, anything more than social insurance and pension?

Norway ISs generally dont feel the necessity to incentivize expat ITs, the rational is that Norway is a top destination and working and living in the region is of considerable intangible value. €50K/yr gross is rather lite on the coin especially in Oslo given your experience. This would have to be your retire out settlement to make it worth while, and you'd need a plan of advancement in Norway to be here you want to be when it comes to retiring.
DomeVet

Post by DomeVet »

Not sure I understood you Psyguy.
I'm also wondering if state school teachers receive a higher salary than international school teachers. If so, I'm wondering if a plan to try to get work myself into a state school after a few years would be a worthwhile goal.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@DomeVet

Is the €50K net or gross salary?
Is the €50K for a 9, 10, or 12 month contract?
Are there any other benefits of the OSH package or is it essentially an LH package?

Regulated (public/maintained) DTs are civil servants, and they earn better coin than private/independent DTs. You would need to be able to teach in dutch though to begin that process. Thats was what I was referring too in my previous post, you would need some kind of advancement plan either leadership or other DSs/ISs to make such a move worth while. Norwegian advancement on the salary scale is relatively flat.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> You would need to be able to teach in
> dutch though to begin that process.

Imagine learning Dutch and then arriving in Norway, only to then find out they don't speak it there.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

My error, thank you for the correction, yes it is Norwegian.
kevin

Post by kevin »

Are we allowed to post links to other forums? If not feel free to delete my post.

This was a really informative post by a Norwegian teacher: https://community.tes.com/threads/a-beg ... ay.800083/