Getting flights home this summer for departing teachers?

cam2016

Getting flights home this summer for departing teachers?

Post by cam2016 »

Hello,

I am at a school in Southeast Asia and will be departing at the end of this year. The US Embassy in our Country says on their website basically US Citizens should get out now or be prepared to be stuck for the foreseeable future. I guess my concern is that if I can't get out this summer I also won't have any support in my current country after my contract ends. How are other departing teachers feeling? Are you worried it will be hard to get out this summer?

On another note, I feel the job I accepted for next year is pretty precarious now. I hope not, I really want to go to that school, but I just don't know right now.

Thanks!
Helen Back

Re: Getting flights home this summer for departing teachers?

Post by Helen Back »

Yes, I think many of us are feeling like this. We have already talked to our landlord about staying on an extra month and then flying directly to our new school. We usually go home in the summer, but that might not be possible. We usually transit through China, Hong Kong or Seoul, but that seems like a bad idea right now. Currently Manila and Taipei could be possibilities, but that could change at any moment.

As for the contracts with our next school, yes, also worrying, although I know they are processing our work permits. Anything could happen. Uncertainly is the only certainty.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I would be more worried about being able to return or getting back. Stay in touch with your next IS and stay close if you can.