Job Cuts

shawanda

Job Cuts

Post by shawanda »

I overheard my head say that with us going online for the foreseeable future, it's likely that 20% of staff will be cut between now and July and that some courses may stay online even when we return in an effort to cut costs. I think cost-conscious schools are using this pandemic to radically transform education and some subject teachers are never coming back. Any staffing changes at your school as a result of the Great Panic of 2020?
shopaholic

Re: Job Cuts

Post by shopaholic »

What country is this, shawanda?
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

We've offered some online courses to augment our curriculum for years. I can't say that the courses are very popular with out students. One of the platforms ends up with lots of low grades because late work is penalized unlike where I work.

Pamoja which offers IB diploma subjects online has also been around for a while. The quality of those classes is uneven. I had a friend who used to teach for them, but stopped when they reduced the pay substantially while giving more students for classes.

Certainly the technology is around to do it, but I don't know that parents paying high tuition will see that as worth the money.

Eion
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Most schools will not stay online. Students and parents don't really like it, although they recognize the necessity of it. Some schools will face falling enrollments as a result of closures - the longer the closure the more likely it is to lose students. At the same time, families that don't come back have the potential to be replaced by other families. Not a guarantee, but a surmise.

In the end, I think it strengthens larger schools - they have the capacity, cash, and computing power to make e-learning work decently until the crisis is over. The smaller schools will have it much harder unless they have compelling features or there is a lack of choice in local community.

So some schools, some cuts. 20%? That seems quite high. It might be a reorganization and staff leaving next year not replaced. There are lots of different ways this scenario will play out on individual levels.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with previous contributors, parents are highly unlikely to pay high tuition/fees for long term online learning. Cutting staff as a result of lowered enrollment, thats more probable assuming enrollment drops its likely going to be seen in lower tier ISs.
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

I hope I am wrong, but from what I gather, many schools are going to be closed for months and use this as an opportunity to completely clean house. Outsource to online/shared platforms for 2020-2021, and then hire all new IF we can come back in 2021-2022. Think about it from the parent perspective: why would I pay for a pricey private/international school for a year if I can just go to the local public option online for a year before things are sorted out? International and private schools getting parents walking away en masse right now from 2020-2021 contracts signed just days/weeks ago.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I can see the elite/tier 1 schools staying open and maybe committing to a blended model for 20-21 as the situation normalizes. These schools generally have resources to ride things out, maybe faculty have to take a pay cut for next year, but massive layoffs are probably unlikely.

Tier 2 schools will probably see some job cuts or not replace departing teachers.

Tier 3 for-profit schools may shut down depending on the country.

Online learning will probably stick around at the HS level for certain courses. For anything K-8 it is really not ideal and the current situation is only in place because there are no other options. Agree that lower tier schools may see it as a way to cut costs though, even when things normalize.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

"Think about it from the parent perspective: why would I pay for a pricey private/international school for a year if I can just go to the local public option online for a year before things are sorted out?:

Because the local public version is still inferior to the private version? And also, the private schools will insist that those not partaking in the program will have to do the extra year anyway "to complete the program."
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Buffalofan,

I don't think you will see schools go to a blended plan - schools that can will be back in full swing with contingency plans much more robust than before, given how severe the impact of COVID 19 was. Schools will build some online learning days into the calendar to orient new students and stress test their system and plans and make changes as needed.

But parents do not want a blended model, and neither do students. The number of my students now who WANT to come to school is amazing. Good schools really are the community hub. If that fits your school, then don't expect online learning to happen. Other, lesser schools, that possibility exists. But parents with $$ won't be choosing those schools anyways. That's how I see it, at least.
PsyGuy

Disscussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Those parents might be walking away but here exactly are they going to go. I concur with @Helen Back the local/pubic versions of online are worse and if those parents come back they are going to make kids makeup the missed time to complete the program.

I dont see blended working or becoming an option when other options avail themselves and I dont see online working for even some courses, parents are going to say were paying X fees/tuition why cant you get an IT for all classes. Online has been around a significant period of time and it hasnt flipped the K12/KS learning model.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I don't think a blended model is a "want to", but more of a "have to" at least for the start of 20-21. There are still likely to be travel/visa restrictions in place for nationals of hard hit countries (Americans) for some time. You may see classrooms where say 50% of students are physically there while the rest are not.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Buffalofan,

that is a more realistic event. I know we are exploring the reality that we might not have the OK to open up, or that teachers might not have the flights to return, meaning it might be online for students who are in-country and out of country. It will be interesting times!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

May we all live in interesting times.