Health Insurance?

jbiersteker

Health Insurance?

Post by jbiersteker »

Hey, a quick question (and not about Coronavirus, at least not directly). My wife and I are leaving our present school this year (and its awesome global health insurance) and were wondering what people do to bridge summer coverage between jobs. I haven't looked directly at extending our present plan (I presume it will be expensive), but it might be the best thing, especially since my wife is coming off of cancer. Anyhoos, are there other options that people have found that can give us good coverage for 2-3 months? Thank you kindly!!
Heliotrope

Re: Health Insurance?

Post by Heliotrope »

jbiersteker wrote:
> Hey, a quick question (and not about Coronavirus, at least not directly).
> My wife and I are leaving our present school this year (and its awesome
> global health insurance) and were wondering what people do to bridge summer
> coverage between jobs. I haven't looked directly at extending our present
> plan (I presume it will be expensive), but it might be the best thing,
> especially since my wife is coming off of cancer. Anyhoos, are there other
> options that people have found that can give us good coverage for 2-3
> months? Thank you kindly!!

If I remember correctly I've always been covered by my 'old' school's insurance for the duration of the Summer.
It was a 12 month coverage, starting August 1st, ending July 31st. So my new school's insurance started when my old school's insurance ended.

Perhaps check if you might be covered as well? (just in case you haven't already)
shadowjack

Re: Health Insurance?

Post by shadowjack »

To echo what Heliotrope said, most reputable schools give coverage starting August 1 and ending July 31, so your coverage should not lapse.

Look into that.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I tend to concur with the previous contributors, an IS with such amazing private plan is probably a better tier IS, and you ill likely b covered through the summer. Otherwise it depends where you go what options are going to be available to you. If you arent going to youre HOR then a short term, summer travel insurance plan is probably going to balance cost and benefits best.