Is the ABCTE Maths teacher course a good option?

Elysium82

Is the ABCTE Maths teacher course a good option?

Post by Elysium82 »

Hey guys,

I have been teaching languages for 10 years, but I am planning to ditch my main subjects in favour of maths.

I have a BA and a PGCEi. I was wondering if the ABCTE Maths course is a good option to do so. I am also planning to sit the Maths PRAXIS exam in May, but that alone might not be enough.

Has anyone switched to Maths successfully? If yes, what is the best way to approach this matter?

Thank you.
PsyGuy

Inquiry

Post by PsyGuy »

A good course to do what?

ABCTE provides a certificate that isnt any better or different than any other piece of paper from organizations such as ACSI or TTC (PTC). They arent a regulating authority, at best they are a lower cost of entry too a skill pathway in a number of states that will result in a credential. ABCTE doesnt train you or provide you with much beyond test preparation to pass the exams. You already have a PGCEi so you already know the meds/peds/asst.
1) If your looking for a credential, getting the MA Provisional (entry grade) credential is far cheaper and easier and its an actual effectively lifetime credential.
2) If your interested in course material than taking courses from UPe will get you actual Uni credits and with your PGCEi you could transfer enough credits/units you could complete the Masters at less cost than the ABCTE program is, and a Masters has more value and utility than a ABCTE certificate. A nice sequence of math inspired courses might be:
- Instructional Techniques for the Elementary and Middle School Classroom
- Instructional Techniques for the Secondary School Classroom
- Advanced Practices for Teaching the STEM Fields at the Elementary and Middle School Levels
- Advanced Practices for Teaching the STEM Fields at the Secondary Level Levels
) If you just want to explore direction and topics in teaching in a maths classroom, there are a number of books you could pick up, you might want to start with "Starting Points for Teaching Mathematics in Middle and Secondary Schools" by Banwell & Saunders and Tahta. Not a huge investment in coin and its got classroom utility as opposed to being conceptual.
Elysium82

Re: Is the ABCTE Maths teacher course a good option?

Post by Elysium82 »

Thank you for the information. Why exactly the Massachusetts provisional license should I go for? How about sitting the PRAXIS maths content exam and apply to the OSSE in DC? Do you think that would be a fairly wise option to go for in order to get the teaching license in maths?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Elysium82

You can take the maths PRAXIS exam but that alone (nor with your PGCEi) wont meet the requirements for DC (not anymore). Essentially you need to complete an EPP/ITT program or be sponsored by a DC LEA.

The MA provisional credential doesnt require completing an EPP/ITT program. All your required to do (in addition to a bachelors/first degree) is complete two credentialing exams (one for maths, one in meds/peds/asst). The credential is valid for 5 years of work in MA but if you never teach in MA it will never expire.