Corona . - affect on student numbers

sciteach

Corona . - affect on student numbers

Post by sciteach »

Hi All,

Since everyone seems to be focused on the Corona . at the moment - few seem to be thinking of the large potential ramifications on international student numbers in asia along with potential teacher flight in China.

Some schools in China who have a mainly Chinese population will probably be stable with student numbers - but it will be interesting to see how this affects businesses in China and asia in general.

Any informed thoughts would be interesting to hear...
fine dude

Re: Corona . - effect on student numbers

Post by fine dude »

If the situation stabilizes by April/May, life for expats should return to normalcy. There will always be teachers' who are extra cautious who might temporarily return to their home country or relocate to a third country, probably in the Middle East. If the situation worsens, the top flight schools in Beijing and Shanghai might take a big hit with their enrollment.
IE_sciteacher

Re: Corona . - affect on student numbers

Post by IE_sciteacher »

I don't think it would be the top schools in each city but the 2nd and 3rd choice schools. As position, hypothetically, open at the top schools, the students who were on wait lists and are currently at other schools will move in to take their places.

That being said, the reason those students are in China probably isn't changing because of the .. Multinational companies and large manufacturing industries are not going to pack up and move due to this. Economically, China will make sure companies are not moving because of this, they will do whatever they can to not lose face.

Teachers are a different animal though.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Nothing too very little. Chinas faced this before with SARS and Bird Flu. The little effect your going to see if this doesnt stabilize by summer is that there will be some loss of enrollment at higher tier ISs that serve expat students and families but at lower tier ISs that are predominately local host national students youll just see movement between wait lists.

Business wise, I concur with @IE_sciteacher, China wont let this effect business, they will just lock it down to the point they wont let companies leave either physically or economically.
sciteach

Post by sciteach »

I think it's fair to say that we might be a bigger hit than we thought a few weeks ago. My current country in Asia is expecting significant number decreases both at my current school and the many other options as well.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

I teach in Shanghai and I can confidently say 75-80% of my students are in Shanghai and more are returning every day as the situation evolves both in China and around the world. We may lose a small percentage of students but I don't see this current crisis having a lasting impact.