What PD shall I got for with a BA and a PGCEi?

Elysium82

What PD shall I got for with a BA and a PGCEi?

Post by Elysium82 »

Hey guys,

This is a bit of a vague question, but I would like to improve my CV with an online course.

I am an IB teacher (English/Spanish) with a BA in languages and a PGCEi.

I have a budget of 600 euros to do a PD course online.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? If yes, please share your experience.

Cheers.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

One of your first options would be to use that coin to obtain a credential, there are several options available to you Connecticut (CT) and Hawaii (HI) could potentially result in getting a credential that you can use for QTS, you would still be eligible to get a Massachusetts (MA) provisional credential. To take the 3 exams you would have to travel to MA (the world language exams are only offered during a very narrow window and only at specific testing sites in MA). The combined fees for all three (Spanish, French and Communication Literacy) would be USD$390, the application fee for Spanish and French would be another USD$125. You would also need to get an NACES evaluation of your qualifications (Bachelors and PGCEi) and the cost varies depending on the provider you use. You would have to ensure your Is would let you apply the PD funds towards those costs, which would leave you the travel to the USA (to take the exams) on your own coin.

Second, Would be looking at a Masters program. The cheapest program is University of the People (UPe) they have an IB supported M.Ed in Teaching that total cost is USD$2400, that €600 would pay for three courses which you could spread out over the year, three terms (UPe has 5, 8 week terms in a year) after 4 years you would have the program completed.

Third, EdX offers a number of professional certificates, micro masters and X-seriese courses. The micro masters are a little above your PD cap, but they have a professional certificate program in Ed.Ld thats three courses and about USD$450.

Fourth, You could take another IB workshop you can find online workshops around USD$450.
Elysium82

Re: What PD shall I got for with a BA and a PGCEi?

Post by Elysium82 »

Hey Psyguy,

Thanks a lot for the information.

At this stage the teaching credential is not vital to me. It is mainly for those who want to teach at state schools and I am not planning to do so. The MA is a good idea. However, I am not planning to work as a leader, it might be a bit of an overkill.

I think I'll do the IB Certificate course online. It is way over my PD budget, but I dont have to do all the modules in 1 year.

Then again...thanks a lot for keeping teachers informed.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Talk to veteran colleagues at your school and watch them perform.
Plan a job-alike session with like-minded colleagues in your city / country.
Read books.

P.S. Expensive keynote speaker workshops are overrated.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Elysium82

Professional edu credentials have a high degree of utility for ITs, they are typically a requirement or highly preferred for a vast majority of ISs.

Masters degrees are not exclusive to leadership, the proportion of ITs with advance degrees rises considerably as one moves up in tiers, in addition many ISs offer additional coin for ITs with advance (Masters) degrees.
Elysium82

Post by Elysium82 »

I totally agree. The problem is that it takes a lot of planning to get credentials.

I have my heart set on the QTS (or US teaching credentials), but that is not something a 700-dollar PD allowance can help me get. I will work on this matter when the time has come.

Thank a lot for the information guys!!! Much obliged.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Elysium82

It doesnt take so much planning, the travel organization is the most work. Otherwise it can be as little as taking some exams, getting some documents evaluated and completing an application. It can be done in a weekend.

Yes it is, excluding travel. NACES evaluation, two exams, application fee, youre looking at right around USD$700.