How to know if the school teaching well?

How to know if the school teaching well?

Postby math-teacher » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Just wondering how do teacher knows if the school is going to teach their children well enough to be average? Just wondering how much does the quality of teaching impacts those teachers with children for the next job selection.
math-teacher

Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:48 am

Postby fine dude » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:25 am

- 'A' level / AP / IB results
- College admissions
- Word of mouth
- Highly competitive with long waiting lists
- Seasoned and humane administrators who know their stuff
- Top-tier compensation

Having said that, there is always a couple of bad apples among faculty who just got lucky with hiring. I currently work with some who will never be hired by our current administrators.
fine dude

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Postby mamava » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:02 am

The quality of teachers with respect to my kids is one of the most important factors. Of course, I want to teach with good quality teachers, but let's face it--if I had to, I could teach in a crummy school, but not if it impacted my kids. It's one of the reasons we left our school in the ME. Two years of watching teachers have visa denied and not being able to show up until October or December was not something we could put our kids through. It wasn't worth the money we were making.

We're on the brink of empty nest life and, while we'll continue to work at top-tier schools, we are also more open to places and opportunities that might not have been a good "fit" for our kids.
mamava

Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 am

Postby Heliotrope » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:20 am

Check out the potential school here: https://www.talesmag.com/real-school-reports (if it's listed)
Be aware it's only anecdotal evidence, but sometimes quite helpful, especially if a school has many reviews, and they all tell the same story.

Better yet, join expat Facebook-groups of the city where the school you're considering is located, and ask what parents think of the school. You'll find parents are very eager to share their opinions, good or bad.

Postby Thames Pirate » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:50 am

The list above is great for traditional academic standards. But to me it's the bare minimum; schools can do the academic AND more--creative, social-emotional, innovative, action-driven, etc. can also be a part of that. Top-tier package is not necessarily an indicator, though it can be. But yes, academic results, college admissions, and word of mouth are the most accessible and often quantifiable indicators.
Thames Pirate

Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:37 am

Short Answer: Performance benchmarks such as exams.

Long Answer: How well in both breadth and depth of likability an IT has. Students arent stupid in IE, they know the ITs that know there material, have a classroom dynamic and care about their learning and success. Have those three things and your a likable IT and your child is likely receiving an "average" education.

Postby Heliotrope » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:38 am

Thames Pirate wrote:
> The list above is great for traditional academic standards. But to me it's
> the bare minimum; schools can do the academic AND more--creative,
> social-emotional, innovative, action-driven, etc. can also be a part of
> that. Top-tier package is not necessarily an indicator, though it can be.
> But yes, academic results, college admissions, and word of mouth are the
> most accessible and often quantifiable indicators.

I agree with it being the bare minimum.
And even these exam scores aren't always a good way of gauging the quality of a school. I've seen schools that skew their exam results, for example by having poorly performing students not taking the IB exams, not admitting students with learning disabilities, having entrance exams, etc.

Discussion

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:48 am

I concur with @Heliotrope, not all ISs have open options at SLL, its not uncommon that ISs will have a general open pathway to an SLL certificate and then will have selective pathways such as IB that allows them protect their exam results.

Re: Discussion

Postby Heliotrope » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:58 am

Yeah, in my experience it was usually 90% that takes the IB-exams, and the 10% lowest-performing students being told they can't. But they usually have rich parents anyway, so they'll land on their feet (financially at least).

But to be honest, at my last few schools this wasn't the case.
Lower tier schools are more likely to do so in my experience.

Discussion

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:13 am

There are BSs that dont permit low performing students to take A levels.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Return to Forum 1. From Questions About ISS & Search to Anything and Everything About International Teaching

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 25 guests