Rio and EARJ

wander

Rio and EARJ

Post by wander »

Thoughts on living in Rio from anyone who has done it? Savings potential at EARJ?
Heliotrope

Re: Rio and EARJ

Post by Heliotrope »

It's not allowed to discuss specific schools on the public forum (not even schools that get very mixed reviews), but you can read some first hand reports about living in Rio here: https://www.talesmag.com/real-post-repo ... de-janeiro
Most of these reports are written by US diplomats or their spouses, so their experiences might somewhat differ from those of international teachers.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

Discussing the savings potential at a specific school is actually Okay on the Open Forum, so long as the discussion does not turn into a evaluation of the school or any its administration. Thank you Heliotrope, we appreciate forum members helping us to monitor forum activity.

Ben @ ISR
GrumblesMcGee

Post by GrumblesMcGee »

Ben: Thanks for the clarification. Honestly, the forum has become a bit stagnant.
indogal

Post by indogal »

Not sure about EARJ, but I do know that any school in Brazil will need to pay you in Brazilian reals, as dictated by Brazilian law. So, if you have any debts in your home country, how much you can pay off or save will vary based on how the Real is doing against your home country's currency.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

admin wrote:
> Discussing the savings potential at a specific school is actually Okay on
> the Open Forum, so long as the discussion does not turn into a evaluation
> of the school or any its administration. Thank you Heliotrope, we
> appreciate forum members helping us to monitor forum activity.
>
> Ben @ ISR

Thanks, good to know!

Well, in that case, if you have a BA and 8 years of experience, the school says the savings potential for single teacher is 12,000 USD, for a couple (both teaching) with 2 children it's 20,000 USD, and for a single with one dependant it's supposedly 12,000 USD.
The salary for teachers with a BA and 4 years is 41,000 USD, and for teachers with a MA and 8 years it's 48,000 USD.
The numbers are from the school's Search profile.
These numbers aren't always based in reality, the school can say anything they like. Usually, the numbers on the salary are pretty accurate (currency fluctuations might have changed them though), but savings potential might be very different.
Check out cost of living on Numbeo.com.
mamava

Post by mamava »

You have to check the cost every week sometimes! I currently live in Brazil--we lost 50% of our salary in our first year because of the currency devaluation. It crept up and has done pretty well, but it's recently tanked again. That means prices fluctuate in country, too. If you have no outside expenses (houses, bills in other countries) you can weather the changes pretty well. If you have to regularly send money back to your home country, it can get tricky in terms of meeting obligations and not getting soaked on fees. A couple years ago we lost about 26% of every money transfer back to the States.
aleconner

Post by aleconner »

@heliotrope:
Is accommodation or an accommodation stipend provided by the school? I know that schools in Asia generally do, but I don't know whether schools in Latin America do as well.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

aleconner wrote:
> @heliotrope:
> Is accommodation or an accommodation stipend provided by the school? I know
> that schools in Asia generally do, but I don't know whether schools in
> Latin America do as well.

Housing Allowance: 20,000 USD per year.
Also annual flight home.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

One of the more positive social regions if your a single woman. Not bad for a single guy either.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Maybe if you stay within the expat bubble. And even in that bubble safety is a bigger concern in Brazil than most other countries. But it's a nice city apart from that. As a single I would probably risk it.
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

Please don't get me started on EA and Rio. I could write a book on my time in Rio. I will limit myself to ten words:

Wealth
Poverty
Extreme
Beauty
Ugliness
Sex
Drugs
Men
Women
Caraca!
mistyknight

Post by mistyknight »

Shawanda,

Is this the school you were at?
shawanda

Post by shawanda »

misty, girl, yes, but, luckily, now, one flew east, one flew west, and this one flew over and out of that cuckoo's nest #forevs