Most in-demand subjects for international schools?

Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> The major contributors consensus is two years post credentialing in a
> K12/KS environment (DS) as the recommended pathway.

I don't see that consensus on this forum.
Yes, reading the forum I do see a consensus on the two years, assuming the pathway you're referring to is one into a decent IS, but if those two years are spent in a DS or a lower tier IS doesn't seem to matter, based on what has been posted on this forum by the major contributors, or all contributors for that matter.

PsyGuy wrote:
> I dont agree, the library has become more a meeting place for students to
> socialize in the A/C when they dont want to go outside.

This says more about your school than about most of the good ISs. Over the course of my career I've seen a strong correlation between the quality of the school and the function of the library within that school. The better the school, the less their library fits your description. But perhaps others have had different experiences more aligned with yours.

As far as the actual topic of this thread is concerned, from what I remembered these are always hardest to fill with someone the recruiter gets really excited about:

- Maths, especially HL
- ICT / DT
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Economics
- Librarian

For most of the rest, niche vacancies aside, it's usually not a problem to find someone great, assuming it's for a good school.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

The major contributors consensus is two years post credentialing in a K12/KS environment (DS) as the recommended pathway.

No, even the upper tier ISs are investing less and less in their libraries. Its just not the place students go to do research, they go to the technology.
Its more a manifestation of affluence and funding, when an IS has funded and budgets all of their critical and then priority needs, dumping coin into the library improves the ISs aesthetics.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

@PsyGuy
It seems you don't have a clear understanding of a what a good librarian does, what a good library offers, why upper tier ISs do what they do, or what a good school sees as priority needs.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

We disagree.
Heliotrope

Re: Most in-demand subjects for international schools?

Post by Heliotrope »

There's a first time for everything...
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

This isnt that time.
Heliotrope

Re: Comment

Post by Heliotrope »

Duh...
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

Heliotrope wrote:

> As far as the actual topic of this thread is concerned, from what I remembered these
> are always hardest to fill with someone the recruiter gets really excited about:
>
> - Maths, especially HL
> - ICT / DT
> - Chemistry
> - Physics
> - Economics
> - Librarian
>
> For most of the rest, niche vacancies aside, it's usually not a problem to find
> someone great, assuming it's for a good school.

I heard that getting school counselors was quite tough too.
GrumblesMcGee

Re: reply

Post by GrumblesMcGee »

PsyGuy wrote:
> As established by forum consensus and other sources, ITs generally require
> two years of post credentialing experience obtained in DE to enter IE.

#PsyGuyLogic
Step 1: Someone who is a major contributor to the forum points out that there is no consensus, and that they disagree with PsyGuy's underlying claim.
Step 2: PsyGuy replies "as established by [just-disproven] forum consensus and other [uncited] sources."

I fail to see how the sliver of daylight between PsyGuy and Thames Pirate here is worth going to war over. It's common sense that we all start somewhere. I'm starting in IE without any (comparable) DE experience, and I'm at a prestigious school. I acknowledge that I'm in the minority, but I'm not alone. If you want to talk about the most common, most advisable, etc., path to an IE job, fine. Go ahead. Just quit throwing around terms like "consensus" that you clearly aren't capable of grasping (unless you have some sort of undisclosed training in dialogue facilitation that I haven't sensed in you)...it's not worth the fight. You can still make functionally the same point without another #PsyGuyTantrum where you plant your flag on unsteady ground.

To the OP: everyone's different. Every school is different. Every recruiter is different. Every hiring season is different. Exceptions abound. But yes, try to get experience. The chances of someone with a not-perfect-fit BA and little conventional classroom experience jumping into a desirable job aren't great. But stranger things have happened.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@GrumblesMcGee

We disagree with your claims underlying assumptions.
I understand what consensus is.
I consider my position sufficiently strong to withstand debate and I am the sole and exclusive authority on what is an is not worth my efforts and the ground on which Im making such claims is quiet stable.

I do however agree with @GrumblesMcGee, there have been ITs with no credential, no qualifications and no experience getting appointments at high tier ISs. Nothing surprises me in IE anymore.
Heliotrope

Re: Most in-demand subjects for international schools?

Post by Heliotrope »

I agree with @GrumblesMcGee

And it's not about getting into higher tier IS, it's about 'entering IE'.
And that's easy with just certification. Or even without.
It's not just me saying that btw, there's a consensus. Really.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

shadylane wrote:
> I heard that getting school counselors was quite tough too.

@shadylane
You're right, a good counselor is hard to find. We have a few great ones at our school (and one dud i.m.o.), and they get approached by multiple schools even though they're not looking for jobs elsewhere.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Yes its about entry into IE.
The consensus recommendation of the major forum contributors is two years post credentialing experience in a K12/KS environment prior to entry into IE.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Well, there are no actual signs of a consensus, but of course you're welcome to repeat it ad infinitum.
After all, that has always been one of your more persuasive debating techniques, in addition to claiming you have sources that back up your claims without ever being willing to share those 'reliable' sources.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

There are ample significant signs of consensus. The consensus recommendation of the major forum contributors is two years post credentialing experience in a K12/KS environment prior to entry into IE.