May 2019 IB Results

fine dude

May 2019 IB Results

Post by fine dude »

What are your thoughts on this year's results? We are in time zone 2 and some of our HL & SL math scores are off by one grade level.
interteach

Re: May 2019 IB Results

Post by interteach »

Ours are unusually consistent, but one set of results doesn't demonstrate much of anything.

Over the years I've found there are usually a couple of subjects where grading seems to be peculiar, and given valid feedback there's sometimes some widening of the grade boundaries if re-grading seems warranted - although in the best-case scenario that feedback has been provided prior to grades being released. As far as I can see, nothing is certain.

Every year seems to be different. I feel for you if students and teachers are feeling things are looking weird. Thhat's hard for everyone and I don't know of any quick fix to make people feel better.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@interteach
Thanks for chiming in. Would you care to elaborate what the two subjects are?
interteach

Post by interteach »

Sorry I wasn't clearer. What I meant was that out of all subjects, each year there often seem to be two that have grading that's hard to figure out but it's not consistently the same subjects year to year. I haven't seen any pattern of a record of off-kilter grading for a specific subject but neither have I looked for one.

This year for us was an exception in that we did not see it, but it may not be so for other schools. Again, sorry for the confusion.