CS Endorsement

intltchr

CS Endorsement

Post by intltchr »

There are ten states that allow a CS endorsement via praxis. https://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/passing_scores.pdf

Are there any ideal states to choose from in terms of reciprocation? Could I reciprocate with QTS or California later and how much is the added utility worth? I'm looking to complement a math credential. Physics is supposed to be another option but I usually see physics considered more of a science than a math and CS is grouped together with math (by the college board for example).
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Not very accurate information, its missing DC which also has a CS endorsement, and accepts the PRAXIS. In addition your list is just those that use the PRAXIS not that you could get an endorsement solely by examination using it.

Not of the ones in the list you provided. The gold standard in IE is CA, they essentially dictate the US NC in IE. You would need to add the endorsement before transitioning to CA, if you want to take advantage of the PRAXIS availability.

There is only room in the QTS dossier for two teaching fields and neither of them would be listed (currently) on your QTS certificate.

Yes physics is considered a science, but its highly math intensive at SLL, which is why its often seen paired with maths in IE. Maths, Physics and C/CSci (ICT) is a rather strong combination when recruiting in IE. However, ICT is usually whole school or divided between secondary and primary. Its an elective (meaning its not taught all year like the core courses of maths, science, social studies, literature, etc. are).
intltchr

Re: CS Endorsement

Post by intltchr »

Thanks for the reply. Would I have to do labs as a physics teacher? I have no credits in either CS or physics. Not sure if adding a second subject is more trouble than it's worth.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@intltchr

Yes, all the IE curriculum AP, DIP, IGCSE, A* all require laboratory explorations. Balls, blocks, pulleys for mechanics, probes and meters for electronics. You have some aerospace propulsion (rocket science literally), I dont know anyone doing plasma or high energy physics so no particle accelerators.
intltchr

Post by intltchr »

If I wanted to reciprocate with the state of NJ, would I need 30 credit hours in physics for CEAS or is it enough to pass an additional praxis to add on to my math cert?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@intltchr

Yes, currently you would need to meet the subject matter preparation with 30 course units in physical science for all levels of credentials CE, CEAS, standard. The difference has to do with EPP/ITT training, no the subject matter content. NJ is in the process of adapting assessment based endorsement in the future. Currently, the only route around this is to use mutual reciprocity to get another US credential, and add the subject area in that state through assessment and then meet the reciprocity requirements to transfer the out of state credential into NJ.
intltchr

Post by intltchr »

@PsyGuy

This is good to know. Doing the reciprocity dance seems a lot easier than finding 30 credits of online physics content.

The standard certificate from NJ requires two years of experience and a reference letter.

Is the experience content specific or can I upgrade both math and physics (after I reciprocate physics) after two years of teaching either?

Is there anything special about the letter of reference? Is there a form that should be completed or is a signed and dated letter on school letterhead sufficient? Can't find much information about it.

Finally, does the school the experience is at need to be accredited?

Thanks for your help.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@intltchr

Much less coin as well.

The teaching subject doesnt matter. It can be any K12/KS experience thats from an accredited IS or DS. Lately NJ has become a more selective in what IE experience they will accept. Accredited means the IS has regional US accreditation by one of the regional accrediting bodies. Candidates have also been successful with ISs that are inspected BSOs. Its also possible a provincially maintained CAN IS would be accepted. What isnt likely to work is an IS whose sole accreditation is a local, regional or national MOE authority. Even then there have been ISs in the ME and Asia who were regionally US accredited, but were all local host nation ISs that werent accepted.

Any letter on school letterhead, signed and stamped by the IS will currently be sufficient.