Likeability/Rapport on a CV

chiliverde

Likeability/Rapport on a CV

Post by chiliverde »

Although I've taught abroad for almost 15 years, whenever it comes time to update my CV I always feel like such a naive noob. Trying to figure out what to put in the cover letter vs. the CV itself, and generally what schools are "looking for." For instance, I can't imagine a teacher out there in these times who isn't to some extent "inquiry based, committed to educating the whole child." But surely this needs a mention anyway. Or does it?

A big question I have now is if rapport or "likeability" is worth mentioning anywhere. For instance, parents regularly ask me (elementary classroom teacher) if it's possible to loop up with their child, and I have many reports years later that I was the favorite teacher their child ever had. Presumably this would happen to many teachers, but not all. Other teachers often comment how my children continue to talk about me with fondness years later. Is there any appropriate place to mention this, in addition to the harder data on raising reading and math scores, etc?

If this is the stupidest question in the world... go easy on me, please.

I could also bite the bullet and sign up with an advisory agency - has anyone done this with good results?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

There are three parts to an IE resume (Ive written this before, youve probably read it before), that which they can do (degrees, certifications, etc.), that which they have done (experience, scores, etc.) and marketable special skills. If youre looking at a line item on your resume, ask yourself two questions, First, would anyone pay me coin for that specially and second, is this NOT a general part of the generic teacher job description. If the answer to booth is yes, than it goes on your resume. If the answer is no to one of them, than it goes in your cover letter, and if the answer is no to both of them, save it for the interview.

The "inquiry based, committed to educating the whole child." isnt worth the space on a resume. I wouldnt put it in the cover letter unless you had the white space. Its an okay lead-in during an interview. Where it really belongs in a document is your statement of teaching philosophy, and while its acceptable to include a brief touch about it in your cover letter, Id try to find something a little more unique, especially if your resume includes IB related experience, training, or skills. If youve taught PYP before they already know youre inquiry based, and your a hole child student centered, capable IT.

Popularity or "likeability" by students is something to discuss during the interview, it dosnt belong in the resume, and it sounds like your reaching for positives to put in your cover letter.

Advisory agencies usually suck, they are predominately focused and experienced on either general or specific fields of the corporate business environment. You would be likely wasting your coin, trying to get high quality advice in regards to IE out of one of them. Really, the best most helpful avenue, is going to be contacting some previous leadership you had a good relationship with in the past, and asking for advice from 3 or 4 of them, and going with any recommendations you get from a majority of them.
chiliverde

Re: Likeability/Rapport on a CV

Post by chiliverde »

Very helpful PsyGuy, thank you.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

In your cover letter, it helps to refer to the school's reality, give some evidence in your words that you have digested the mission, vision statement and how you fit within it, expand on your teaching philosophy and how it ties in with it, what value addeds you bring the school, a summation with a zinger closing line.

CV - structures in four parts on two pages - overview of you, overview of your skills, experience record, references. I now put my top two or three references only on my CV and add further references available upon request.

Good luck!
chiliverde

Post by chiliverde »

Thank you, shadowjack