Job security at international and state schools in Germany?

DomeVet

Job security at international and state schools in Germany?

Post by DomeVet »

What job security can one hope for at international and state schools in Germany? I've heard of teachers with EU and non-Eu passports not having their contracts renewed at international schools after teaching at the school at least 3 years. They were not fired. They were just told their contracts were not being renewed.
Thames Pirate

Re: Job security at international and state schools in Germa

Post by Thames Pirate »

Because once they are renewed you are basically impossible to fire. So if they like you but aren't sure of their staffing needs or if they like you but like someone else more or they just don't want that risk with you or whatever, they don't renew. Basically once you get your permanent contract, you have to burn down the building and be caught holding the lighter fluid before much happens to you.

At state schools it's a bit different, but one of the benefits of being verbeamtet is this same level of protection. There are downsides, esp. re: mobility and choice of school, but the upsides are the job security and the benefits.

Citizenship really does not play a role in contract renewal. But yes, generally you have your 2 years. At the end of that time the school says yes or no.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Zero, at least until you get tenure which is what you get your third year. Citizenship doesnt have factor into it, it would be the same for German nationals. Once you have tenure you have a job, and your visa would be renewed as long as you had the job. Tenure is very difficult to overcome for an employer, you would essentially have to be convicted of a crime to loose it.
Illiane_Blues

Re: Response

Post by Illiane_Blues »

PsyGuy wrote:
> Zero, at least until you get tenure which is what you get your third year.
> Citizenship doesnt have factor into it, it would be the same for German
> nationals. Once you have tenure you have a job, and your visa would be
> renewed as long as you had the job. Tenure is very difficult to overcome
> for an employer, you would essentially have to be convicted of a crime to
> loose it.

So, exactly what @Thames Pirate said in the post before yours?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

No but similar.
Heliotrope

Re: Comment

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Illiane_Blues
>
> No but similar.

Similar?
Same exact information, nothing new.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Illiane_Blues
>
> No but similar.

Why comment at all then, if you're not adding anything?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

Similar isnt identical, and while my post did add value, even if It didnt I dont need your permission to agree with another contributor.
Illiane_Blues

Re: Reply

Post by Illiane_Blues »

Pretty identical. Not word for word perhaps, but as far as relevant information goes, it is very much alike.
But no, nobody needs permission to post here. I was just wondering why you did. But I think I know already.
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

He posted because I did (he likes stalking me and telling me I am wrong), and he gets his kicks by pretending to be an expert on things he isn't.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Thames Pirate wrote:
> He posted because I did (he likes stalking me and telling me I am wrong),
> and he gets his kicks by pretending to be an expert on things he isn't.

Yes, I've seen him do the same (just rehash what others have already mentioned in the same thread) a number of times.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Illiane_Blues

"Very much alike" is what similar means. There were some minor clarifications and differences. Again, even if there wasn't I dont need permission to agree with another contributor.

@Thames Pirate

No one cares enough to stalk you in any context, I dont have to pretend, I only post from experience, research and trusted and reliable sources.

@Heliotrope

Its called agreeing.
Heliotrope

Re: Reply

Post by Heliotrope »

PsyGuy wrote:
> @Thames Pirate
>
> I dont have to pretend,
> I only post from experience, research and trusted and reliable sources.

You do understand that if you keep referring to 'research and trusted and reliable sources' without ever actually linking to the research and any sources, nobody will believe that these actually exist, especially after you've admitted that you think lying is ok?
If your response is still 'Do your own research', then you might not understand the function of a forum like this one, where at least some of us share what we know in order to help each other.

> @Heliotrope
>
> Its called agreeing.

Actually, I think it's called ego.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Diogenes knocking on your door? Are you one of the ten honest persons, thats never lied about something.
I dont care what other people believe, only data matters, not beliefs.
I understand how forums work, I contribute and share to help readers and members continuously.
What you dont seem to think is that @Heliotrope is some form of arbitrator who gets to set some kkind of regulation about what and how I can contribute and what you think is credible or acceptable, when in fact I owe you nothing and need not your approval.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

I dont think you know what agreeing and ego mean.