Search "Verifying" references thru personal email addresses

iblibrarian

Search "Verifying" references thru personal email addresses

Post by iblibrarian »

So the Search reference request form says: "PLEASE NOTE: Search Associates policy requires that all confidential references submitted through a personal email address (i.e. aol, gmail, yahoo) must be verified before approval. We recommend that you use the appropriate professional email address when sending a reference request to each of your referees to expedite the completion of your confidential references."

I would love it if my past supervisors had stayed in their jobs so I could send reference requests to them...but they did not (two of mine are retired). What does this "verification" process entail? I don't want it to be overly onerous on my references, and if it is, I'll just stick with my current supervisors and have less references....it's just hard because they really loved me! :) Thanks!
mickeymoo

Re: Search "Verifying" references thru personal email addres

Post by mickeymoo »

Still don't understand why there is a reliance on references given the large number of disfunctional leaders. Give me a well presented digital portfolio with linkedin endorsements over a references anyday.
FV2020

Post by FV2020 »

The verification depends on your associate. You could just ask your references for their new work email address and have it sent there. I used a retired administrator from a previous job and I’m pretty sure my associate just researched a little online to verify. But that was only one of my six references— the rest were work email addresses.
expatscot

Post by expatscot »

mickeymoo wrote:
> Still don't understand why there is a reliance on references given the
> large number of disfunctional leaders. Give me a well presented digital
> portfolio with linkedin endorsements over a references anyday.

Give me a few hours with a laptop, some DTP software, and a few good friends, and I will show you why authenticated references are still important.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

mickeymoo wrote:
> Still don't understand why there is a reliance on references given the large number
> of disfunctional leaders. Give me a well presented digital portfolio with linkedin
> endorsements over a references anyday.
============================
Probably because many people can fake their way through a lesson or two and/or put together a portfolio (e.g. including serial killers, pedophiles, flakes and other assorted goofballs you would not want as co-workers or to teach your children).

I can't really comment on how valid or efficient linkedin references would be at verifying successful experience and performance since I have not done much with it besides create a profile years back then got tired of the emails/spam.
iblibrarian

Post by iblibrarian »

Thanks @FV2020, that's what I wanted to know! I had imagined them maybe calling them up and grilling them on the phone, or requiring that they provide proof that they had actually worked at the previous organization, or even require they have their own secondary references! LOL
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

It depends on your associate, some will just accept the references and some may send a follow up email, do some online searching, secondary contacts or make a phone call.
Illiane_Blues

Post by Illiane_Blues »

expatscot wrote:
> Give me a few hours with a laptop, some DTP software, and a few good friends, and I
> will show you why authenticated references are still important.

Yes, very true.
I've heard of one teacher applying to a friend's IS who tried to do this.