ISTE Certification. Worth the Money?

Helen Back

ISTE Certification. Worth the Money?

Post by Helen Back »

Is the ISTE teacher certification worth doing for someone who would like to transfer into an elementary or middle school edtech position? It's kinda pricey at $1150. I've being doing other cheap or free courses from Adobe and Google and design thinking courses. Thoughts? I'm ok with paying, I just want to know if it's worth it. Probably heading to Search Bangkok in January 2020.
shadowjack

Re: ISTE Certification. Worth the Money?

Post by shadowjack »

It won't really get you anything in the big scheme of things. It's a bauble that might make the difference in a close run, but you don't have the role experience at a school that would recognize it. Better is to be familiar with the ISTE student, educator and Admin NETS and go from there.

Training? Better to be a Google or Office 365 expert/trainer.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur with @SJ, ISTE is something that someone already in an Ed.T position submits to their IS for PD. "Bauble" is a perfect descriptor, where your tied for a position and the ISTE bauble is better than someone elses bauble or you have one more bauble than they do. Unless you put a lot of weight in trivial tie breakers than it wouldnt be worth it doing yourself, not for the certificate. If youre into their program though or you personally would value the course than its worth whatever you think its worth to you.

Better options would be sticking with Google, Apple, MSN educator training and adding a technology or CSCI DT/IT endorsement to your credential.
Picabo77

Re: ISTE Certification. Worth the Money?

Post by Picabo77 »

What's a CSCI endorsement? I've recently also been considering the ISTE certification and wondering if it's worth it. I've also been looking into post grad degree in ed tech. CSCI? Ed Tech post grad?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Picabo77

CSCI = Computer Science, meaning for a US IT/DT to add an endorsement or obtain a Computer Science credential such as the Florida K-12 or DC 7-12 Computer Science credential.

Degree qualifications look nice on resumes, they are even better if youre actually going to learn something during the education.