Why do recruiters/schools hire so quickly?

ButterflySuz

Why do recruiters/schools hire so quickly?

Post by ButterflySuz »

Hello everyone. I am very new to the whole IS thing, and there is something that still baffles me no matter how much I research it. I want to know: How do recruiters/schools hire people at IS job fairs in such a seemingly hasty manner? Sure, they may see CV’s the day before, but don’t they need time to contact and check out the referees before extending a job offer? Don’t they need time to actually review teachers’ websites or online portfolios to get a deeper understanding of the candidate and whether or not he/she is a good fit? There are many job fairs spread out around the globe. Why do recruiters hire a candidate in a January job fair......wouldn’t it benefit them to also interview candidates in at least a couple subsequent job fairs before making a final decision? I am sure they want the best teacher for the position at their school.

Thank you, veteran IS teachers and recruiters for your input.
mamava

Re: Why do recruiters/schools hire so quickly?

Post by mamava »

They do hire fast, but often people have already sent in CVs and documentation. They can look at Search, ISS, contact references, check people out through connections, etc. all before the fair. One of the reasons why so many schools like to hire before the fairs, so they have more time, but a lot checking goes on behind the scenes. On that first day, when you make the rounds to try to land the interviews, they are already starting that checking if they haven't already.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Most ITs are very indistinct from one another. They just dont differ very much from one another so there isnt a whole lot to go looking at.
secondplace

Post by secondplace »

There's a degree of trust placed in application process required to register with, for example, Search. This also allows the recruiting school to look at files and references etc. ahead of the job fair. And, as has been mentioned, to do some other research into candidates ahead of meeting them.

I also agree that this is why schools are happy to recruit ahead of the fairs through Skype etc. This allows for more time to be taken and benefits the school and the candidate. It allows the school to connect the candidate with other teachers at the school and allows for multiple interviews.

All that said, once it gets to the fairs then if schools don't act swiftly then people will often get snapped up by other schools.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

At a Search Fair, I suspect the confidential references make it possible to move fast.
They can like you at sign-up on day 1, interview you in the morning or afternoon of day 2, and if they like you, read all the confidential references about you on your Search profile in the evening, and then have a final interview on day 3, before offering you the job that same day.
The confidential references are, from what I've heard from recruiters at my schools, very helpful, and definitely not always positive but rather very honest.

Not sure if ISS or other agencies that have fairs use something similar with confidential references – I've always preferred Search because they have a bigger selection of top tier schools, but I imagine ISS will have something similar in place.
Also, sometimes the current (or a former) employer of the applicant is at the same fair, so they can inquire face to face, but not sure if that happens a lot.
ButterflySuz

Post by ButterflySuz »

Thank you all for the great information and for taking the time to reply!
sid

Post by sid »

Some of us contact your referees directly during the fair- we like, or our schools require, that extra confirmation that your reference is real, plus the chance to ask questions specific to our context. It can all be achieved, from signup to offer, within 24 hours, for a hardworking recruiter with a responsive referee.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

@sid

Just out of curiosity (and for a friend who is currently in a situation like this):

How do deal if a candidate will tell you that their former employer will likely give him a bad reference when contacted because they didn't like the candidate leaving the school? (or any other believable reason other than them actually being a bad teacher)
Will you then take the reference with a grain of salt, or believe the former employer?

I know the answer will probably be that you go with your gut, but interested to hear what your thought process is when your gut is inconclusive.
sid

Post by sid »

There’s a lot of gut, and there’s a good dose of salt. There are many, though only a fraction of the total, school leaders I know and have my own opinions about how much trust each merits. There are decent, moderated explanations from candidates, and bitter stories that raise more questions than answers. It can be helpful if the candidate can say “Sid is indeed the head, but we didn’t work closely together, so perhaps Sally or Wanda could provide a more nuanced perspective on my contributions.”
I can also speak with your associate, if you’re working through Search Associates, for their perspective.
In truth though, I’ve seen many people worried that this would happen to them, but I’ve only ever seen it in reality once or twice.
I even worried about it for myself once but at the end of the day my insane employer must have been having a moment of lucidity the day she wrote my letter. It all turned out fine.
sid

Post by sid »

Also remember you’ll have several references in your file. If they all say more or less similar things, I tend to believe them. If there’s one nutty one among a bunch of reasonable ones, I know what to do.
Heliotrope

Post by Heliotrope »

Thanks @sid!