Tech Free

Mike

Tech Free

Post by Mike »

Which international school will be the first to go tech free??

With all the tech warnings from 60 minutes to the NYTimes to the Waldorf school in Silicon Valley it seems almost inevitable??

Any guesses??
Lastname_Z

Re: Tech Free

Post by Lastname_Z »

None. This tech free movement isn't gaining enough traction for it to become a big influence.

Kids as young as 6 are already being exposed to coding concepts. Coding during primary age is more likely to become mainstream (if it isn't already).
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

None, Pop.Ed that will amount to nothing, IE is still playing catch up with C21 and technology integration in the classroom, 1:1 programs are still the goal.
Helen Back

Post by Helen Back »

Not going to happen.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

I remember 'coding' - or programming as it was called - when I was at school several decades ago.

I went into our school's new maker space and design lab and looked at some of the stuff the kids were doing. It looked remarkably similar to stuff I'd seen years ago, but with a slightly more '21st century' package.

It's all a load of nonsense - after all, any coding done by a 6 year old now will be totally irrelevant once they're 26. Looks good on the school prospectus though.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@shadylane

A lot of that maker stuff is just playing with expensive toys.
Daisyduck

Post by Daisyduck »

@shadylane
a lot of that maker stuff is what I played with in my dad's basement in the 80's.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

There is more learning happening when kids learn to code than simply learning a particular coding language. Whether its applicable 20 years from now isn't the point.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

mysharona wrote:
> There is more learning happening when kids learn to code than simply
> learning a particular coding language. Whether its applicable 20 years
> from now isn't the point.

Yes, and I'm sure that I benefitted from it immensely when I did it 30 years ago or so. It's not new - I really wish people would stop pretending that it is.

As for it really benefitting young children, the latest research is far from encouraging. I'm sure that 30 years from now, the idea of giving a 6 year old an ipad to play with all day will be put in the same "I can't believe that they used to do that" category as smoking in an enclosed space with babies, or putting gin in a baby's bottle of milk to get them to sleep.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont think its going to take 30 years.