Advice needed...

DallasTX2

Advice needed...

Post by DallasTX2 »

Happy New Year! My wife and I spent two years in Kuwait and a year in China before returning home to Texas. We both have good jobs here but, after two and a half years, have been disappointed by the American lifestyle. We miss having friends and colleagues that liked going out, traveling, and living outside their suburban castles. Anyway, we have started the discussion about returning to international teaching and I would like some advice.

I am currently serving as an Athletic Director and coach at a well-respected private school. I do not have a state certification. I taught for five years at other private schools in Texas before moving abroad. During my two years in Kuwait I taught 14 different secondary courses. I was hired for PE and that was my primary role, but admin learned quickly that I could handle myself in a classroom and keep the kids in line so I taught everything from U.S. history to Oceanography - usually for a month or two at a time until the teacher who vacated those positions under cover of night was replaced and I returned to just being a PE teacher. In China I taught PE, US History, and a technology elective. My wife is a certified elementary teacher with over 10 years of experience. I have a BS in Exercise Science and an MA in Communication. We don't have children but would like to start a family in the next couple of years, so it is important that I find a position I will be happy in. I didn't mind teaching in Kuwait, despite the kids and the challenges with teaching there, and China was fine, as well.

My question is, what advice can any of you offer to help me land something in PE/admissions at a decent school with decent compensation? I had great fortune in the jobs I landed in Kuwait and China, but neither place is one I would prefer to return to. As for getting certified, any program I can locate requires that I be teaching and I am not teaching in my current role. To take a domestic teaching position would be to go backwards and I am not interested in that. I have an outstanding track record as a teacher, coach, and administrator and great references. If we do find teaching positions abroad again I will be sure to get certified year one so that this isn't a problem again. What advice or leads can any of you more experienced vets provide?
shadowjack

Re: Advice needed...

Post by shadowjack »

Plan for next year or see if you can sign up for a late fair, such as UNI or San Francisco (SEARCH) or sign up with ISS and do an online fair.

Present it just as you presented it here. See what happens.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Hey @DallasTX2,

One thing that Shadowjack didn't mention is that some countries require IT to have certification in order to get visas. Not having a credential may limit you to countries that don't require certification. I know several years ago Singapore changed their laws and many teachers who had worked there a long time were forced to renew credentials or lose their job. I don't know how widespread it is as an issue. I also don't know if this would impact you if you are hired as an Athletic Director.

Anyway, that's something to be aware of and something you might look into before trying to head overseas.

Eion
DallasTX2

Post by DallasTX2 »

Thanks Shadowjack and Eion!
Candycane

Post by Candycane »

Apply for jobs ... I don’t think your situation will hinder you. If there’s an opening, they’ll want you. Especially later in the recruitment season. Which is now! Best wishes!
Thames Pirate

Post by Thames Pirate »

If you are not looking or don't get something for the 18-19 school year, see if you can get a PE license during that year in the US. Or maybe even from abroad if you do find something. I don't know the best road for that (this is actually one area in which PsyGuy can be helpful), but at least that way you are eliminating the problem for the future and can put "license pending" in your paperwork. It will also help you in the long run.