IB certificate or workshop?

shadowjack

Re: IB certificate or workshop?

Post by shadowjack »

PsyGuy - when was the last time you took a DP IB course online? I can tell you that the thrust was not just curriculum - it was integration of ATL's, LP, TOK and whether you would go content or concepts. It was not just a stale rehash of the course guidance documents - and it involved active instantiation of ideas - not just a rehash of documents.

Things are changing in DP - we know that from both our accreditation visit this past year and from workshops that our teachers have taken. I was really impressed with it - and I was familiar with IB and the concepts and have taken many courses, online and in person.

Have to disagree with you on this one PG - others MMV, but I highly recommend taking a course.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

The IB has always been changing and each reiteration has its communication fails, and consistently in time it all gets implemented.

It hasnt been the first time we disagree.
booboo14

Re: IB certificate or workshop?

Post by booboo14 »

I'm not a recruiter but I would think having strong academic background in your field would be crucial. I have have taken 3 cat1s in the last year and must say they are pretty useless except for the acknowledgement of completion. I would venture I could be successful on an online one not in my field. These were online ones and the amount of inane and useless posts you have to read can be frustrating. At best they force you to read the guide. I mentioned this to our IB coordinator and he said that's normal and that's why he is pushing for us to get face to face ones from now on. And the networking aspect is a bonus too.

So I would just recommend a face to face if possible...but I think they are almost double the cost.

You could also show interest by going to gatherings called job-alikes (for free) where IB teachers and coordinators get together.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@booboo14

Double the cost (at least) plus travel costs depending on the location. You could be successful in any workshop regardless of online or F2F and regardless of subject matter or level. None of them require demonstration of subject matter competency to complete the workshop training.