Apply without certification - French German teacher

WLteacher

Apply without certification - French German teacher

Post by WLteacher »

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on this forum, and my first year looking for an international job!

I am a French citizen, and I am certified to teach German. I have taught German for 12 years in France before I moved to the US in 2013. This is my 5th year teaching German Middle School in the US.
Before I left France, I obtained a Diploma for teaching French as a foreign language from the Alliance Française, but I don't have any experience teaching French. And no IB experience either.

I am registered wit ISS and I often get notifications about schools in need of French teachers. Most of the time, the requirements include teaching experience, and/or IB experience. My first choice would be to keep teaching German, but positions are rare. I am confident I could teach French, and I would love to, but I am not certified.

Will my applications to French teacher positions be considered?
What are my chances to get hired as a French teacher?
Also, I have been awarded the QTS. Can this help me find a position?

I am open to any advice and suggestions!
Thank you.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You are already certified and credentialed as a professional educator as that is what QTS is. You do not need to obtain any further credentials as far as IE is concerned. Since QTS is non subject and age specific you certainly can use it to apply for French FL IE vacancies. FLs especially from modern languages tend to get aggregated together, your German experience is applicable to teaching French. You have X years teaching a modern foreign language, thats really all that matters. As long as you can support and talk intelligently about FL acquisition the meds/peds are not significantly or noticeably different. Combined with your french certificate and that you are a native speaker its not going to be much of a challenge.
The challenges are going to be lack of IB experience, and lack of upper secondary SLL experience (AP would have been nice while you were in the US). An advance degree is more common by the time an IT gets to this level of experience.

Yes, your application would be considered, and likely considered a strong application for a French FL appointment. 10 years classroom experience, a full credential. US experience, a native speaker with a supporting certificate.

Youre resume is on the strong positive side of the spectrum. Its less an issue of getting offers, there are a lot of ISs in non-french speaking regions that would LOVE a credentialed native speaker, and most of them have to contend with weaker candidates.

Yes, your QTS makes most of your concerns moot, as you are a credentialed professional educator.

While this rarely comes up in the forum, you are a prime example of a candidate that would have open and available to them the AEFE and the FS system of IS Lycees.
WLteacher

Re: Apply without certification - French German teacher

Post by WLteacher »

Thank you so much for your answer.
Your explainations make completely sense!
I feel more confident and won't hesitate anymore to apply for French positions.
Have a great week!