DODDS Hiring Question

ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Thanks anon. Seems fair. We'll see what happens but I'm actually sort of glad to put any anticipation behind me until next year. If it happens this year it will be a happy surprise. Do you happen to know if we have to renew references every year or will the ones on file do? It was a challenge to get my people to complete theirs so I sure hope I'm done with that.

Also anyone have an opinion on being out of the classroom for 2 years before entering DODDEA? I've been on a leave of absence this past school year and will extend to next in the likely event I don't get picked up. It coincided with the birth of my 3 rd child so I'm out on good terms. I really don't want to go back to my district. It's going down hill quickly. Will it look poorly that I've not been teaching these two years? I work part time in an education related position, but I'm not teaching. I'm not concerned about how this applies to years of experience. I had 8 before I went out. Thoughts?
anon

Post by anon »

@ringler24

I don't know about being out of the classroom...hope someone else responds...you would think they would go by qualifications and experience(s).

The thing about DoDEA --they usually make their interviews/offers very late in the summer/fall...so this year late or next year late could happen...for you a good thing I would guess...you may have the flexibility...for others...could be pins and needles next year as well...

Take care...
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Your references will remain forever, you can add more if you want, but your current ones wont disappear or need to be resubmitted.

I don't really know how 2 years out of the classroom would effect you, but 2-3 years tends to be the limit, anything more and it becomes an issue. Some principals would understand (raising a baby and all), and some would think youve been out of the classroom too long.

DoDDS hires starting in late May to Early October, some people really do get offers VERY late.
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Thanks Anon and PsyGuy

That's one reason why I hesistate to head back (not that I want to anyway). Im not sure if I did go back and then got a call in the early or late fall for a position, that I'd feel okay leaving. I totally understand how many could. I work with young kids from really high need backgrounds. I don't know if I could drop them once I started the school year. That's why this year is great because we could pick up anytime. Next year at this time there's a good chance I will be heading back into the classroom and the whole thing would be much more stressful to wait out.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

@ringler

We have hired teachers as last as November. After that there is a cut off and the position must be offered in the transfer round. Of course this year all bets are off when it comes to a transfer round. We are hearing that it will be much like this years. We are hearing of major changes coming to Europe, with more unaccompanied tours. You can Google Stars and Stripes to read about military/DoD news. They aren't always truthful, but you'll get an idea as to where we're headed and what's being reported. Our European teachers are very, very uneasy about the future at this time. So much uncertainty, especially in Germany, and that's where we have the most teachers. And most of those teachers own their homes.

If you got offered a position with DoDEA after the school year started and you didn't accept it, you will not be offered another one. So be vey careful about accepting interviews if you feel uneasy about resigning from your CONUS school to come work for us.
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Thanks yes I understand. I'm on an approved leave right now which makes resigning at any point very easy. I was talking about next year 2013/2014 and returning to work stateside if I don't get accepted to DODEA. I'm hoping and thinking positively that I might get my chance before that. : )
PsyGuy

Clarification

Post by PsyGuy »

A principal can hire for the same academic year all the way up to the transfer round. Its really a very small window that they cant.
anon

FB

Post by anon »

Have you looked at Dodds groups on FB?
Interesting...crazy...transfers going on...
Offers being made...lots of jargon, oh my!
PsyGuy

Yeah

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes i have, its just that time of year, and its different because of the way the transfers were limited, and the number of excess teachers. Its creating some interesting dynamics.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Lots of change coming. Transfers will still be there. Retirements will still happen. Lots of people worrying with good reason, but in the end DoDEA is getting stronger and starting to make better decisions and hires. Great time to be getting in.
anon

Post by anon »

Good to know....
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Anon- Just an update because we're both waiting in the same boat: Last week someone from HR evaluated all my qualifications. Previously everything was still pending except for ESL which they evaluated right away. Not sure if that means anything but I was happy to see them take action on my application despite me missing the deadline.

Hope you hear something soon!
anon

Post by anon »

Good on ya!
All the best.
No movement on mine so far. 'Will let you know...
Iogi

2012 Hiring

Post by Iogi »

WeDoDude,

Thank you for all of your insight. I appreciate the time you have taken to provide such detailed information.

I am currently at a top international school in Asia and am interested in returning to Japan. I am considering applying to the DODDS, but would prefer to start work in 2013. Is it possible to apply now and defer employment? Barring that, would the DODDS start a teacher in January or later?

PS I tried PMing you, but private messages are deactivated.

Iogi
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You missed the cut off for this year to be considered (it was back in March) so you could only apply for 2013/2014 anyway. DoDDS is pretty picky, and they dont have to wait for people. When/If your offered a position you have 3 days to accept, and return your agreement, thats it. They dont delay. Mid year positions do come up, but they are very uncommon, if you havent applied by the cut off, its highly unlikely you would be considered for this year.

Positions are VERY competitive, and really top IS experience isnt the skill set they really look for. Teachers that have recently been in US public schools are more desirable, as it relates to their student demographic. People wait years sometimes decades and never get offered a position.