DODDS Hiring Question

autumnrain

DODDS Hiring Question

Post by autumnrain »

I'd like some opinions from those of you familiar with DODDS if you don't mind.

Based on my muliple certifications and degrees, which are as follows:
Elementary Education, K-5
Hearing Impaired, PreK-12
ESOL Endorsement, K-12
Gifted Endorsement, K-5
Adapted Education, K-5
School Counseling, K-12 (projected grad date December 2012)

M.Ed. in Education of the Hearing Impaired
Ed.S. in Special Education
M.A. in School Counseling (projected graduatuon date December 2012)

How likely is it that I would be offered a job with DODDS compared to all the other competition out there currently?

I have four years of international experience in in the Middle East and Asia from 2000-2004 and 18 years teaching experience total.

I should probably mention that I was offered and declined a job with them in 2000. I had just moved back to the states from Korea to be closer to my aging parents which is why I declined the offer. It was a tough decision for sure as I had wanted to work for them for years. The job was for an elementary ESL position in Butzbach, Germany. That particular school wound up closing a couple of years later. I have often wondered if I blackballed myself with them for declining a position that was probably coveted by others.

So, eight years later I am in the process of updating my application with DODDS. I called and spoke with someone in their office who assured me that I had not been blackeballed by turning down a position in 2004. She said that turning down a position only invalidates you for an offer during the same school year.

Any opinions of the likelihood of getting an offer to teach? Ultimately, I'd like to be a DODDS counselor but would certainly accept a teaching position if that would get me in the door and, hopefully, move to a counselor position later on.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I was actually called for interviews for hearing impaired positions three separate times while living in the Middle East and Asia. I did not feel good about breaking my contracts with the schools that I had been with at the time. Maybe I should have but I'm loyal in that way, I suppose. Each time they called for an interview I told them that I was currently under contract with a school so it was mutally agreed that I would not even conduct the phone interview. It was ironic that I was finally called and offered the Germany ESL job in 2004 but could not take it because of the need to be near my aging parents.

With all my qualifications, I feel confident that I will get an offer once my application is complete. But then I also feel like maybe I have jinxed myself by not taking advantage of earlier DODDS opportunities.

If anyone can provide opinions or feedback I'd be grateful.

Thanks for reading this ever so long post.

:):):)
anon

DoDDS

Post by anon »

We were offered positions with DoDDs twice. Both offers were made in July when we were already under contract, so we did not accept.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I would say your credentials on paper are excellent, but your chances depend on your references and your interview skills.
autumnrain

Post by autumnrain »

Anon & Heyteach, thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Heyteach, I noticed you are in the Middle East. In what country do you live/teach? I adored living in Egypt. Love Syria, Lebanon, Jordan as well.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="autumnrain"]Anon & Heyteach, thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Heyteach, I noticed you are in the Middle East. In what country do you live/teach? I adored living in Egypt. Love Syria, Lebanon, Jordan as well.[/quote]

I believe it is actual DoDDS policy that if you turn down an offer, you are barred from accepting another position, but only for that hiring year (to prevent people from turning down one location in hopes of getting a more preferred one). You should be fine.

I too turned down interviewing while under contract with an international school (in China), although if the chance comes again, I will have to give it serious consideration.

We have also taught in Egypt and Japan and loved both, in their own way.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

While we are on the topic, what is living/working/teaching in a DODDs school like?

I know the clientele would be different from that at most international schools. It's like a government job right? So pay and benefits are pretty solid?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="nikkor"]While we are on the topic, what is living/working/teaching in a DODDs school like?

I know the clientele would be different from that at most international schools. It's like a government job right? So pay and benefits are pretty solid?[/quote]
-----------------------------------------

From most reports it supposed to be a great gig, as long as you don't mind working and possibly living on a US military base. Some schools have similar problems to schools in the US, while I am sure others are a little closer to better international schools.

The value of the package is supposed to be comparable (some say better) then what the elite international schools offer. Locations are mainly in Asia and Europe.

In some ways it is better, since they will ship something like 16K pounds worth of goods to your new post.

Also, once in you are eligible to enter the transfer process where you can apply for open positions in a more desirable location.

The downsides? Surrounded by Americans (which some people might consider a downside). I'm sure there must be others.

Also, up to 50,000 people in the database for around 200 positions every year. Like winning the lottery.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

50,000 people for 200 jobs!?! Seriously? Those are like ISB numbers! OK, actually an average of 250 applicants/job, which is probably lower than what some of the more desirable schools see.

OK, out of curiosity, where does one apply?
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

You are only barred from being appointed for one year, so it wont effect your chances of being hired. That said ESL is very difficult to fill and find, so you have excellent qualifications in a high demand area.

DoDDS positions rival those of some of the best elite schools, and in some instances they offer perks you just cant get.

1) The salary is pretty high (see link below page 3)

http://www.dodea.edu/offices/hr/salary/ ... ll_000.pdf

2) You will be provided LQA (Living Quarters Allowance) which will basically pay all your bills, and depending on your post will allow you to live in a VERY nice home. You will also be provided temporary living quarters or an allowance when you arrive.

3) They will ship all your household goods including a car.

4) You actually will have a very good pension retirement plan if and when you do retire.

5) DODEA teaching certificates are good forever.

6) the workload isnt hard or over taxing.

7) You will work and travel on an official US government passport.

8) You will have access to the bases post exchange and other facilities.

9) They will cover all transportation(airfare) and other costs.

About the only disadvantages is that 1) The kids arent the brightest, and best, they are very average, and of course have issues youd expect to find with military families. 2) You have to buy your own insurance. 3) You have to pay taxes on the income.

The odds are high and are actually closer to about 750 applicants in the database for each vacancy.

You can apply at

https://webapps.dodea.edu/app_banner/ba ... S/&app=EAS

Hiring does not start until June and doesnt really end for some positions until late October.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Thanks PsyGuy,

I learned something new today. :-)
Beemarcus

A few things about DoDDS

Post by Beemarcus »

They have big allowance.
Last edited by Beemarcus on Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
PsyGuy

Humm

Post by PsyGuy »

Reclarify:

1) People have sent cars to Japan.

2) 18,000 lbs is 9 tons, short of an ACTUAL house thats plenty, plenty. (Also do they actually weigh it and what do they do if its over? Is it like the airport where your 2 lbs over and you have to pay a charge or is like half a ton grace overage?) Seriously were talking TONS of stuff, what international school ANYWHERE else even comes close to that.

3) Its rare to be REQUIRED to live on base that doesnt mean its not an option, though as I wrote earlier its better to live off base and your LQA (Living Quarters Allowance) will allow you to afford a VERY nice place to live.

4) Ive heard different numbers, the most reliable one I've had cited is about 1:750.

5) Discipline issues minor compared to say a public school in the USA, in many cultures and international schools discipline issues border on non existent, in which case "minor issues" could be seen as "major" and "common".
PsyGuy

Joy is the Day

Post by PsyGuy »

My Dearest Beloved Nemesis,

It is with great joy and elation I receive your letter. Much time has passed since I have felt the whisper of your voice, and the reassuring touch of your presence. Why must I suffer so much your loss? An hour seems but a day, and a day but a year, and each and every moment agonizingly longer then the last... Oh woe is the longing of a human soul.

Forever and dutifully yours,

PsyGuy

Poscritto: nessuno
autumnrain

Post by autumnrain »

LMBO... Hi Dave. :)