Living and working in Brunei

steventon

Post by steventon »

Hi

Just thought i would put in a good word for Brunei, as CfBT is advertising for teachers at the moment. It is a beautiful and peaceful country - little serious crime and no pollution problems. I have found it a wonderful place to live with my family. Lovely beaches, friendly colleagues, outdoor life...I am one of the many who have stayed here for many years. Check it out!

PS. But don't come if you want nightly pubs and clubs!
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

I am not into pubs and clubs so much, but I do like a glass of wine every now and then. Do people brew their own?
steventon

Brunei

Post by steventon »

Teachers certainly do not go short! The border to Malaysia is a short hop away, so people buy their supplies there. Seems to provide an ample supply for personal needs. There are one or two restaurants where people bring their own to have along with the meal - also the Yacht Club.
Unfortunately, some get put off coming here when the hear it is a 'dry' country, imaging it as very austere - it is not like that at all!
pancakeboy

Post by pancakeboy »

It sure is a peaceful and beautiful place to live and work if you enjoy the simple life - lots of lush jungle to explore, beautiful beaches (although the litter issue will depress you), a slow pace and low cost of of life, no 'nightlife', etc. It's also a good place if you have younger kids (teenagers may be bored).

I have been here for a while working in the govt system. The package offered by CfBT is not to be sniffed at, but it is probably not a good gig for anyone especially ambitious or career-orientated...

Bottom line: it's an easy ride, well paid, and a pleasant enough place to live (albeit pretty boring, with some frustrations at how inefficient and incompetent some institutions and departments are), where your kids can receive a good quality education in the local international schools.

NB: Syriah law is being brought in... no one knows exactly when.
Last edited by pancakeboy on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

SHARIA law does not necessarily mandate the drastic punishments nor austere lifestyle you imagine. I lived in another country that was technically ruled by sharia, and led a great lifestyle. Non-Muslims could get a permit to buy alcohol at the package stores, women could dress as they pleased. As with most religions, there was a lot of regional interpretation. There was never any of the punishments that you describe.
BellaLuna

Post by BellaLuna »

So it doesn't look like CfBT accepts teachers from the U.S., correct?
Open Communication

Post by Open Communication »

How does Cfbt compare to:

• International School Brunei
• Jerudong International School
pancakeboy

Post by pancakeboy »

CfBT, as I understand it, pays more and offers a higher housing allowance than ISB; JIS may be the best paid option of the three.

The key differences are in the day to day logistics: in ISB and JIS, you are in an international school context; with CfBT, you are in a local school context. This has obvious connotations for what and who you're teaching. Also, the international schools run Mon-Fri with a 'proper' 2-day weekend; if you're working for CfBT, your 'weekend' is a split one: you get Fridays and Sundays off but have to work Saturdays.

The other difference, if you have kids of your own of school age, is that as a CfBT teacher you will not have the same school holidays as your own children, and this can be a real pain... especially if you end up teaching exam classes (ie. O Level/IGCSE or A Level). Come the July/Aug long holiday for the international schools when your own kids are off, you will be up to your ears in mock-exam marking. In addition, as a CfBT teacher you are only allowed to take leave during the govt school holiday periods, which can mean a 'family holiday' results in you having to take your own kids out of their school during their term time.
pancakeboy

Post by pancakeboy »

[quote="BellaLuna"]So it doesn't look like CfBT accepts teachers from the U.S., correct?[/quote]

Bella, that's correct. Apparently (so I heard), the cost of an employment visa for a US national is prohibitive, and so the company doesn't employ Americans.
Moore_02

Post by Moore_02 »

nice post !
Aislinn

Re: Living and working in Brunei

Post by Aislinn »

Worked in Brunei 7 years ago wonderful people, very safe but can be boring, especially if you are by yourself. That said there are many positive things about the place that outweigh the negatives....close to many interesting destinations in Asia, especially. I have a fond heart for a Brunei. Recently there was a post ( check News articles) and Sharia Law is in the process of implementation.....will apply to all ......worth noting!
pancakeboy

Post by pancakeboy »

Yup, Syriah law is being implemented fast and HARDLINE. It WILL affect and apply to non-muslims and expats as well as the local community - in fact, there is a whole section of the newly written legal code specially for the non-muslims. For example, if you host a . at your house where alcohol is served, and a muslim guest happens to be in attendance, YOU can be liable for a $2000 fine for 'corrupting a muslim' by serving alcohol in their presence. The laws and guidelines are currently being extended to clothing for all as well... Dress codes are being touted, friends of mine (female) are being told they can't wear sports tops that show their shoulders when working out in the gym, and pretty soon if your style of dress 'offends' anyone you will be fined. Increasing levels of extreme 'modesty' (but only for women ofcourse) are being actively encouraged. More recent changes (they are happening almost DAILY at the moment) include making it a crime under syriah law for any non-muslim to SAY 'insyallah' and 'asalamailaikum' (or however you spell those words -sorry) in public - we're not 'worthy' and will offend Islam, apparently, by saying them in public - and to ban any playing of music anywhere during the Friday prayer times.... so, does that mean you can't drive around in your car with the stereo on? Have the radio on in your own home? Who knows....

Anyway, anyone considering moving to Brunei any time soon needs to do plenty of research to look very carefully at the question of whether they think it's for them. An excellent source of 'on the ground' info is the local paper, the Brunei Times (www.bt.com.bn) which allows comments to be posted on the stories within it. That will give you a flavour for the local mentality as well as a good insight into what's happening there at present. In a nutshell, there is VERY widespread and outspoken discontent towards the changes being imposed by the dictatorship regime, and in my humble opinion, this is only going to end up going one of two ways: either the population will lie down and accept it, resulting in Brunei becoming an extension of Saudi or Pakistan, or there will be some sort of revolt... meaning Brunei will go the way of Egypt and Syria. Either way, it is all very very sad for those of us who know the country well and are helpless observers as the Bruneian people and culture are forcibly changed into something nobody seems to want or like.
Asiatic

Post by Asiatic »

Be cautious when thinking of moving to Brunei now. Having lived here 10 years, I can say that the recent changes are not positive. More and more expats are leaving after many years of enjoying the country's peaceful lifestyle but the future looks grim. SHELL are starting to pull out from the country so that can't be a good sign. Then TOTAL will follow. It appears that Chinese/Indians locals want the expats' jobs and salaries without necessarily having their skills…time will tell!
millwall_fan

Post by millwall_fan »

Anything more on how the introduction of Sharia law is progressing? I've applied for a job at ISB and am trying to keep abreast of the situation - it seems Oman is also going the same way and I've just applied there too! I have a lot of respect for Islam and don't mind dress codes etc, but I do like the occasional G&T at sundown. Can I still do this?
coin_operated

Post by coin_operated »

Moving here. Having a bit of trouble figuring out what the dress code is supposed to be for women. All I've heard so far is that shorts (for women, obvs) is taboo, and to "use your common sense". Would anyone care to enlighten me? Are there any places (yacht club, certain housing complexes) where I can expect attitudes toward this sort of thing to be relaxed? What about swimwear?