Hokkaido?

travelinchica

Hokkaido?

Post by travelinchica »

Hey there,

Anyone out there who can tell me about Hokkaido International School and/or living in Sapporo or Japan in general? I've definitely heard mixed reviews...

Thanks.
internationalchick

Any News?

Post by internationalchick »

Hey there,
Have you heard anything more about working in Japan? I am also entertaining moving to Japan to work and would love to hear anything about it! Have you taken a job there already?
Ichiro

teaching and living in Japan

Post by Ichiro »

I spent five wonderful years in Japan living and working at an international school in Kobe.

If you've got the chance, I'd give it an unqualified "go for it!"
internationalchick

Thanks...Can you give me more?

Post by internationalchick »

Thanks for the reply! What can you tell me about living in Japan? I would love to hear some advice about what to bring with me! I have accepted a job in Tokyo. I am currently teaching in the Middle East and trying to pack some stuff to ship to Japan. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Ichiro

Japan

Post by Ichiro »

Well, I can tell you about my experiences in Japan, though life in Kobe is probably much different than up north in Hokkaido.

Like I said, my experience was amazing. The school were I taught, Canadian Academy, is one of the best international schools around (and by around I mean all of Asia) and the cultural life is unbeatable.

I was able to establish a wonderful and very tight group of Japanese friends despite not being able to say much more than hello when we first met. We travelled around Japan snowboarding, sightseeing, beach combing, etc. One good friend even took a week off work and came to the US with me one summer! I know that my experience was quite unusual, but I didn't do anything special other than work up my courage and walk into a little pub near where I lived. Lucky for me, a couple guys my age who spoke a little bit of English struck up a converstation and started what will likely be a life-long friendship.

As you might guess, it's expensive, but hopefully your school will pay a salary that makes it comfortable as did mine. During my final year there, after taxes I was in the 6 million yen a year range, plus we received 130,000 yen a month for housing. I lived quite well--lots of traveling, both locally and abroad, lots of going out, etc. Didn't save much, though could have cut down the number of major international trips per year and saved a bundle.

What to bring......mmmm....most everything is readily available in Japan (though again, don't know about Hokkaido--but probably). You have to decide if shipping stuff is worth the cost compared to buying new in JP--depends on shipping allowance, etc. Second hand goods are ridiculously cheap--including cars! I bought a very nice little four door Toyota during my second year and it got me around, including daily to school, for the next four years without a hitch--and it was only 100,000 yen! Of course, the road tolls are quite high as is the every-other-year shaken inspection charge.

I found clothes and shoes in my size with little problem, and there are lots of places to shop that are not expensive. Uni Qlo was popular where I was--sort of like a cheap version of Gap--which were also plentiful, though not cheap.

Hope you have a great time--enjoy the winter snow!
jeffofarabia

hokkaido

Post by jeffofarabia »

i lived to the south of hokkaido in aomori for two years and it was wonderful. but it is also really, really cold. if you like snow it is a wonderful place to be. hokkaido is also one of the only places in japan with adequate heating in the winter, so you won't freeze to death like in other parts. if i had a job offer there i would probably go back. i spent six years in japan overall and mostly loved everything. it is a great country.

Post by Guest »

jeffoarabia? this is jen