anyone have advice for a newbie?

mgoblue424

anyone have advice for a newbie?

Post by mgoblue424 »

Hi all, New to the board, and am actually in the process of completing my teacher's cert. I am EXTREMELY interested in teaching abroad (am in the States) and would like to hear from anyone and everyone re: the process and experience they have had.

I am getting elementary cert. In my previous career I was a social worker specializing in therapy. However, I have been completely burned by the experience and am looking to start anew. I know there is a requirement of two years plus for private schools, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get overseas. Anyone care to help a new boarder out?

tthanks for the help!

Steve in Michigan :D :D :D
mills

Another Newbie :)

Post by mills »

Hey Steve,

I am in the same boat. I am finishing up my elementary certification now and will be finished. Unfortunately though, I will only be finishing at the beginning of August 2006 and have been told that I will have to wait until about mid October '06 for my Ontario Teachers Certification to be processed. Argh! So frustrating.

Anyway, I too would much appreciate any advice from anyone about getting started teaching internationally. I am looking to going to a couple of fairs in February but what I am wondering the most is whether or not there is a particular palce that is more likely to hire first year teachers. Somone mentioned that schools in South America often hire first year teachers. Any input on this??

Andrea
mgoblue424

Post by mgoblue424 »

hi andrea,

from what ive heard, schools typically want two years of teaching exp, at least that is what i got from iss.edu

though that would be great. i could see hanging in s america for a few years. i was also looking into the US dept of defense school system. they apparantly dont have exp as a hard and fast rule....

im more toward the beginning of my mission. but i am trying to complete it as fast as i can. the school im at is recruited by districts across the country- i can see teaching a few years in somewhere like las vegas or similar if need be. :-D
teacher

new to the scene

Post by teacher »

Steve and Andrea,
Some schools will hire newly certified teachers without experience. You will find some of the schools in Colombia will welcome you with open arms and be excited that you birng youth, energy, new ideas and are up to date with the latest in technology. The other way in could be to go as an intern, prove yourself, impress the admin and slide into a teaching position the next year. More schools are considering hiring intern positions these days. The Queen's fair is a really good fair for those without much experience. It is a great fair for those new to overseas teaching, a smaller and cheaper fair. Search Cambridge and ISS Boston could be overwelming and intimidating to those without international teaching experience.
mgoblue424

Re: new to the scene

Post by mgoblue424 »

teacher wrote:Steve and Andrea,
Some schools will hire newly certified teachers without experience. You will find some of the schools in Colombia will welcome you with open arms and be excited that you birng youth, energy, new ideas and are up to date with the latest in technology. The other way in could be to go as an intern, prove yourself, impress the admin and slide into a teaching position the next year. More schools are considering hiring intern positions these days. The Queen's fair is a really good fair for those without much experience. It is a great fair for those new to overseas teaching, a smaller and cheaper fair. Search Cambridge and ISS Boston could be overwelming and intimidating to those without international teaching experience.
cool thanks for the info. any chance of posting a link for some info? also, how about the UNI fair?

I went with this school speficially because they have a relationship with the military to student teach overseas. Now if i can afford it....

anyway, much appreciated! :)
mills

Emergency positions.

Post by mills »

Thanks for the advice.

I will be attending the Queen's job fair wtih my fingers crossed and Colombia does interesting me so I might be in luck. Hopefully there will be a few schools that are open to giving first year teachers a chance.

Any insight on what the chances are of filling positions at schools last minute? I mean schools that teachers are unable to carry out their contracts. Would it be silly to hold out for a last minute position or should I just take what is offered (if that happens) at the job fair?

I guess a lot of it is inner voice but some advice would help too ;)
mills

Emergency positions.

Post by mills »

Thanks for the advice.

I will be attending the Queen's job fair wtih my fingers crossed and Colombia does interesting me so I might be in luck. Hopefully there will be a few schools that are open to giving first year teachers a chance.

Any insight on what the chances are of filling positions at schools last minute? I mean schools that teachers are unable to carry out their contracts. Would it be silly to hold out for a last minute position or should I just take what is offered (if that happens) at the job fair?

mills

Emergency positions.

Post by mills »

Thanks for the advice.

teach

Re: Emergency positions.

Post by teach »

Queens has established a history with the schools in Colombia and those schools have been pleased with the teachers they hire at the Quuen's fair. Colombia is an incredible country, alive with culture and the people are very welcoming. We got our first overseas job at Queens in the early 90's, recruited by KCP in Barranquilla staying there for 3 years and had a great experience. GOOD LUCK. Go to as many school presentations as you can fit into your interview schedule. It helps both now and in the future. Dream where you might want to go next!

Talk to as many people as you can at the fair. NETWORK! Alan Travers, the organizer, is very helpful. As well, he usually has helpers who have been overseas (some in Colombia). Research the schools you are interested in, use this website, and talk to everyone because you never know who has been there or knows of someone who has etc.....

As far as knowing if a school is right--you gotta go with what feels right for you. IT IS PART OF THE ADVENTURE. Welcome to the exciting world of the overseas recruting fair. It is stressful but so exhilerating. I believe there are more positions open this year than candidates at fairs so the schools are competing for faculty!

As far as emergency or last minute positions--- Search runs a fair in June which provides later opportunities. Not sure how many jobs are open at that stage. My suggestion- take offers at the fair if they feel right. Holding out for something else is fairly risky, but there are the odd and rare times when a good position may pop up late spring or during the summer.

For those that want the website for the Queen's recruiting fair. However, it may be too late to register at this point. http://educ.queensu.ca/placement/index.shtml

Watch out for ISS!

Post by guest »

Reflecting on my years of overseas teaching and administrating, I remember so many full experiences and good friends. I had success with students and was making some money. I am no longer overseas. My experieces ended abruptly in Boston at an ISS recruiting fair. I had attended many of these and knew Jane Larson was not my friend although she flirtet enough to warant a "backoff". She was unctious and obsequious. I wasn't born yesterday and knew this was an acting job. Insecure people behave in unsincere and unpredictable ways. I let this go as my focus was on teaching and being of service to my students and families.

When a particularly difficult head without certification and also an insecure person began telling stories out of school regarding his faculty I found myself blackballed. I went to Jane for help in refocusing my seearch to perhaps a smaller school or one out of this head's mix. Jane Larson became defensive, curt, lost her poise, raised her voice, showed her deep lack of understanding of manners, and sent me a note on my email to let me know ISS was not interested in my candidacy anymore forever.

No one loves to be rejected. It smarted a bit. I have other contacts and quickly regrouped and found a fine job. My take is to surround myself with as much talent as possible, and to distance myself from mediocre, hurtful people. This is why I have nothing to do with ISS or the witless and vindictive Jane Larson. I have found it easy to let the clueless head go. He can't help himself; in the states he coudn't find a job in education.

This is to say with ISS beware...or really forget it. Stay away. The world is a huge wonderful place with many open invitations to work. You do not need to be anywhere near Jane larson.