Can you afford to teach overseas? Survey results

Conant

Can you afford to teach overseas? Survey results

Post by Conant »

I was quite interested to read these results and have one general observation (recognizing that this was certainly not a scientific survey): It seems like many teachers are willing (and sometimes unwittingly by dishonest employers) to accept benefit packages that really are not a benefit, but rather a financial liability. All the unreimbursed money to set up home and classroom astounds me. (Again, recognizing that there are good schools that pay much/all of these expenses.) Why do we teachers allow ourselves to be taken advantage of? Do we need these jobs that badly? Take a look at the parents of many of the children you teach who are working for business/government/NGO employers; I am quite sure their employers pay all expenses related to these moves and don't ask the employee to bear much/some/any of the financial burdens. My friend teaches for the U.S. DoD schools and his moving benefits are amazing; he's treated like the professional that he is. And with the skyrocketing cost of transportation, my guess is teachers will be paying more out of pocket expenses to cover new baggage fees and other shipping costs. And don’t forget the devaluation of certain currencies (the U.S. Dollar in our case) in which many teachers are paid.

Am I missing something here? Is this a reality that will never change?
JISAlum

As long as we accept it..

Post by JISAlum »

I think you've alluded to it. As long as schools can get individuals to work under these conditions, they'll do it. Supply and demand- it's as simple as that IMHO.

If a school can get away with bringing in individuals that might stick around for a year, might have qualifications and might act professionally, they'll do it. If parents still pay tuition, they'll do it.

I think newbie's might not know better, and once you're over there, you're screwed. I know some veterans who entered into contract, then got screwed, so it happens.
Beemarcus

Things won't likely change anytime soon

Post by Beemarcus »

I agree, the practice of “allowingâ€
johnwest

Can You Afford to Teach Overseas?

Post by johnwest »

Beemarcus--I noticed that many people had secured their positions on their own, too. I also noted that many teachers were quite happy with their current schools. I am hoping that those teachers who seem so happy with their jobs will write reviews so that I know where to apply next!