I resigned from a job early in the contract, how bad does that look for my future prospects?

BigWig

I resigned from a job early in the contract, how bad does that look for my future prospects?

Post by BigWig »

I was teaching in China from 2017 to September 2022, my first school did not reneew my contract after 5.5 years of employment(4 contracts completed with them) and by the end of the year i found a job at another school through Search Associates. during this time the pandemic was takking a toll on my mental health and being isolated and worn down by the covid policy in China and after a few weeks of being at my new job i began to feel i could not stand being in China anymore so i asked my principle if i could resign and he accepted my resignation and we parted ways on good terms. Search Associates insisted i put this time at the school down on my profile and give an explanation why and I did but they have been slow to follow up afterwards.I'm just wondering will recruiters or schools will be undertanding given my circumstances? How bad will it look on my resume?
Heliotrope

Re: I resigned from a job early in the contract, how bad does that look for my future prospects?

Post by Heliotrope »

If you want to reach more people, it's better to post it on ISR forum 1: viewforum.php?f=1
This forum (forum 2) gets almost no traffic, so very few people will see this post.
shadowjack

Re: I resigned from a job early in the contract, how bad does that look for my future prospects?

Post by shadowjack »

if there is an explanation and I am interested in you, that wouldn't scare me away. Many administrators have friends in China and know the reality. After 6 years - 3 in lockdown and no travel with threats not to leave the country, your situation is understandable and not a deal breaker. Your 5.5 years in one school shows me you have longevity too, which also helps with any worry I might have.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

You still get to play the COVID card, its not going to effect your marketability.

You dont have to do what SA says. You can write the resume you want, use the email address for the IS and apply directly. You may want to ghost the position.