Page 1 of 1

Need Assistance w/ Job Search and the Entire Process

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:54 pm
Hello Everyone,

I am new to international teaching, I had a very brief experience a few years ago where I applied directly to a school, interviewed with the principal (some hiccups with skype call), he followed up with my principal at the time, checked references - but the director had someone else in mind for the position (as per our conversation on Skype, but he would let me know) and I don't believe my principal at the time was too keen on letting me go. Anyway, I am looking into teaching specifically in Portugal. I am not in it to make a lot of money (I am aware Europe is not the place to do so based on a few comments I have read on the site). The reason I am choosing Portugal is related to family, moving closer, familiarity with language and culture, and just really wanting to live there.

I have 6 years of teaching experience and I am currently on my 7th year of teaching Language Arts in middle school. My classroom experience has been 1-year Bilingual (English/Spanish) language arts teacher as part of an 18-month dual Masters/teaching program, 3 years 6th and 7th grade language arts teacher, and most currently 2 years of just 6th grade ELA.

Considering the specificity of my search, I am wondering how to go about job searching and applying. Should I join any particular job sites? When is the best time to search for openings? Is it inappropriate to contact schools directly if they have no job postings currently? Also, would it be beneficial to get my Portuguese citizenship as my family are Portuguese? I also noticed there are many British schools but I am certified in the US with experience in American schools, would this be an issue as far as securing a job?

I want to thank anyone who can help ahead of time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:14 pm
by shadowjack
Portugal is one of the Southern European countries with low pay for most schools compared to what you are used to.

If you are looking for Lisbon, Carlucci, which is in Sintra, just outside, is a good bet for US system.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:40 pm
shadowjack wrote:
> Portugal is one of the Southern European countries with low pay for most
> schools compared to what you are used to.
> If you are looking for Lisbon, Carlucci, which is in Sintra, just outside,
> is a good bet for US system.
> Good luck!

Thank you so much for your response. That was definitely one of the schools I looked into. However, if I wish to make the move by next school year (or at least increase my chances to do so) I have to cast a wider net - so I will have to look into other schools. However, I am unsure how difficult it is to get hired as a teacher in a school using IB/British curriculum if I have not taught those particular programs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:17 pm
by mamava
Regarding the IB system, one way is to start out in MS rather than HS. Some large schools have non-IB teachers for grades 9-10 but most of them do require teachers to teach IB as well. If you have strong credentials and are a good hire, some schools will hire and train you.

British schools are quite different--I worked at a school that was extremely snobby and closed to non-Brits (I'm an American) and I don't think I would have been hired except I teach special ed. I know other teachers who had worked at British schools with US background and we currently have an outstanding chemistry teacher at my school teaching SL and HL bio and chem and this is her first stint out of the UK system. So it's possible!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:09 am
by sid
Regarding the IB system, indeed.
The IB includes 4 programs, starting with PYP that works with students as young as 3 years old. Progressing to the MYP, and capping off with the CP and DP in the last 2 years before uni.
If you're attempting to be a candidate for any IB school, perhaps take care in referring to specific programs, and not incorrectly using "IB" to refer to the "DP".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:57 pm
mamava wrote:
> Regarding the IB system, one way is to start out in MS rather than HS.
> Some large schools have non-IB teachers for grades 9-10 but most of them do
> require teachers to teach IB as well. If you have strong credentials and
> are a good hire, some schools will hire and train you.
> British schools are quite different--I worked at a school that was
> extremely snobby and closed to non-Brits (I'm an American) and I don't
> think I would have been hired except I teach special ed. I know other
> teachers who had worked at British schools with US background and we
> currently have an outstanding chemistry teacher at my school teaching SL
> and HL bio and chem and this is her first stint out of the UK system. So
> it's possible!

Thank you for this information!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 pm
sid wrote:
> Regarding the IB system, indeed.
> The IB includes 4 programs, starting with PYP that works with students as
> young as 3 years old. Progressing to the MYP, and capping off with the CP
> and DP in the last 2 years before uni.
> If you're attempting to be a candidate for any IB school, perhaps take care
> in referring to specific programs, and not incorrectly using "IB"
> to refer to the "DP".

Thanks, SID.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:07 pm
by Cailin
Re Passport - Yes, get it. If you have a Portuguese, or any EU passport, you will not need a work permit/Visa. This saves money and bureaucracy for the school.

I would suggest writing directly to every International school in Portugal that you are interested in. What have you got to lose?