AASSA

Tica Chica

AASSA

Post by Tica Chica »

Anyone have any experience with the AASSA fair? Also, this is my first fair - any recommendations?? Thanks!
Sara

AASSA Recruiting fair Atlanta Nov./Dec. '06

Post by Sara »

I see that the last post in regard to this fair was last year....any takers this time around?

I would like to hear from anyone who has attended an AASSA fair in the past. Right now, they've just begun posting the schools and the positions they're filling at the AASSA website, so there aren't many yet. I'm hoping there will be more--I was planning to attend this fair because as a first-time seeker (I have experience teaching EFL in Japan and Language Arts and Social Studies at an IB MYP school in the US, but none at a k-12 international school outside the US) who would really like to work in Latin America, I figured AASSA would be my best bet for getting a job. It's the first of the year, it's fairly inexpensive, and it's for the region of the world I'd like to go to.
But if there aren't more schools attending with open positions in my field, I'll have to go to UNI. In your experience, how many schools usually attend the AASSA fairs, and are there many jobs to be filled? Or will I find myself with few options if I do go?

Any info would be appreciated!
AASSA

Post by AASSA »

While I haven't attended the fair, I do know a few people who have, and they were satisfied with it. They got jobs at places they wanted, and said that the fair was well-run and positive.

In the cases that I have known, they went to the fair confident that there were at least a few jobs in fields in which they were looking. Because the fair is targeted to one area and the schools' needs can change, my guess is that job demand will vary year-to-year more than many other fairs.

You might want to wait a few more weeks before you decide if you wish to attend. In that time, you may see a few more postings of positions that interest you.
Sara

thanks

Post by Sara »

AASSA wrote:While I haven't attended the fair, I do know a few people who have, and they were satisfied with it. They got jobs at places they wanted, and said that the fair was well-run and positive.

In the cases that I have known, they went to the fair confident that there were at least a few jobs in fields in which they were looking. Because the fair is targeted to one area and the schools' needs can change, my guess is that job demand will vary year-to-year more than many other fairs.

You might want to wait a few more weeks before you decide if you wish to attend. In that time, you may see a few more postings of positions that interest you.
I'm waiting--but so far, there aren't that many openings I'd be qualified for....I guess I'll just have to wait until the last minute too see if it's worth registering. Thanks for the advice!
More AASSA

Post by More AASSA »

From what I've heard of the fair, there are often jobs available that don't get posted on the website - which often happens at all hiring fairs.

Some people think at the AASSA fair that this may be due to the fact that it's early, and a number of school heads don't know what positions will be open until right before the fair, as a number of teachers don't have to decide until it's fairly close to the fair. I've also heard (but cannot prove) that there's a favorable ratio of candidate to positions at the fair.

That said, if you see that there's a couple of positions in your field posted - or if you are really interested in working in that region - you might want to attend. There is some risk that you'll spend the money to come up empty-handed - but that's a risk at all fairs.

At least with AASSA, there may still be time to register for another fair if you don't get a favorable result.
g

Re: AASSA

Post by g »

what is aasaa?
Tica Chica wrote:Anyone have any experience with the AASSA fair? Also, this is my first fair - any recommendations?? Thanks!
Sara

AASSA

Post by Sara »

AASSA is the Association of American Schools in South America. They have their own annual recruiting fair, this year in Atlanta on the last weekend in November. Some schools from Central and American and the Carribbean will be attending too.
Sara

AASSA

Post by Sara »

AASSA is the Association of American Schools in South America. They have their own annual recruiting fair, this year in Atlanta on the last weekend in November. Some schools from Central America and the Carribbean will be attending too.