Ichiro examples

Ichiro examples

Postby Frenchie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi there. I am new to this forum and learning all sorts of things. I am a current candidate with SA, 54, married and 1 other dependent.I have previous international teaching exp and Pyp, however, I feel like the stars are not going to be aligned for me as easily as others. I need all the help I can get! I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share a snapshot of what their Ichiro might look like?? Should I have an Ichiro on hand for Feb. fair in Boston?

Thank you very much.

Postby shadowjack » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Are you with Search or ISS? Dependent is adult or child?

Postby Frenchie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:57 pm

I am with Search and ISS and am married with one other dependent, so I guess there are 2.

Postby FV2020 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi! I am new to the IS recruitment scene. What is an "Ichiro?" Thanks so much!

Postby shadowjack » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Teaching Area? Programmes you are trained to teach in (AP, IB, Emilia Reggio, Montessori, etc...)

And trailing spouse not a teacher?

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 am

An Ichiro is named after a long lost member of the forum (who was a very valuable contributor), much like the Reisgio effect.
An Ichiro is essentially an alternative resume to describe marketing any type of flashy/gimmicky/creative method of introducing yourself to recruiters. It would generally involve color photos of you teaching, amazing students projects, etc and a more limited amount of text. Some people go all out and mimic advertising flyers, brochures, wanted posters etc (kind of a high risk/high reward approach).
During signup your only going to have about 10-30 seconds to make contact with a recruiter and get an interview slot. A resume doesnt convey the highlights of you as a candidate. You want to convey the top three bullet points of what makes you special or at least worthy of consideration. Enter the Ichiro, which in its basic form is a flyer (in color) with basic contact information, some visual representations of your work, and a few bullet points of what makes you special. Ichiros are also good for slipping under doors and in school folders. A three fold brochure or business cards allow you to carry your resume everywhere without being cumbersome.
Ive seen a number of Ichiros from business card resumes with a photo, contact info and a few stared bullet points with a QR code leading to a digital portfolio, to printed CDS, coupons (Good for one amazing teacher, time limited must be redeemed at [web address] and currency bills for a "1,000,000 teacher", 3 fold "sales" brochures, a couple teachers have done commercials and one did a full 22minute "info-mercial" that included a staged interview answering 5 pretty common questions, that was distributed on flash drives (you get a couple of flash drives from schools in your invite folder). The best one I ever got was a full, professionally bound magazine on slick paper stock it was 62 pages long and had articles discussing their teaching philosophy, a center fold with their bio and resume, articles about differentiation, their approach to the whole student, special needs, learning support, a couple stories about past schools and what they learned, and what they wish theyd known. It was extremely well done. The most recent unusual one were bottles of wine the candidate had created custom labels for that had a photo superimposed over a vineyard, a mock review to one side and a short list of bullet points describing their strengths in a “Quality Profile”, and were more of a 'Thank you note'.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby FV2020 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Thank you PsyGuy! I would love to see or hear about examples from others! This seems like a bit of a double-edged sword: being too formal could come off stiff/bland, or being a bit out of the box/creative might seem too casual. I’ll have to put a lot of thought into this!

Postby muguet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Ugh Psyguy your description of Ichiros is a great encapsulation of why I don't go to job fairs. I still can't believe schools would want this ridiculous stuff!
muguet

Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Postby PsyGuy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:38 pm

@FV2020

An Ichiro is not a substitute for a formal resume, its a supplement to it. The Ichiro is the teaser, you still use and have available a formal resume printed on high quality paper.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby FV2020 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:37 pm

PsyGuy-- Oh, yes! I understood. I just meant that the Ichiro itself could come off as too casual.

Postby Frenchie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 pm

@shadowjack
I apologize for not answering -
I have 7 yrs. experience in international schools in France - jobs I got on my own, this is first Search Fair for me in Boston, I have 3 yrs IB, 17 yrs total. I have a trailing spouse who is retired and has own income and a 17 yr old (1 yr. left of HS) I am mid-50s as well. I am wide open to most places. I am worried the Cambridge Fair will completely throw me for a loop, but excited to have a go at it.

Postby Thames Pirate » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:15 am

Frenchie, you'll be in good shape.

The only Ichiro we ever had was a side-by-side bullet pointed couples' resume so schools could look at our highlights on one sheet. Beyond that it was all too gimmicky for us; it works for some, but a standard CV or resume that is reader-friendly and well-written cover letters (or notes at fairs) is sufficient. Recruiters want to see who you are quickly, so the single page scanable resume is good--they rarely read the whole thing anyway. The QR code is a nice touch, but they are unlikely to take the time to scan it and look at the portfolio--it just demonstrates that you have sufficient tech skills. It's an easy thing to do.

At the end of the day the glitzy stuff helps early career teachers, but experience and strong references are the biggest factors. Unless you teach art or something, in which case some portfolio stuff might be helpful.
Thames Pirate

Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am

Postby Frenchie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:05 pm

Thank you! I am just going to see how it goes. Looking forward to at least how it all plays out.

Postby shadowjack » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Frenchie, keep us posted!

Postby Frenchie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Will do. Not sure if I can come close to your play by play, but will give it a go.

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Return to Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest