Teaching Couple Tips

tomgreen_84

Teaching Couple Tips

Post by tomgreen_84 »

Hey all,

So I have taught internationally before but my wife has not. We are currently back in the states. I have eight years of experience and certification, while she is finishing her second year and just getting certified. We've never applied to any jobs as a teaching couple before, so I am wondering, what is the general procedure for applying as a teaching couple? Do we send our information together or separately? Do couples interview together or separately?

What else would be important for us to know?
shadowjack

Re: Teaching Couple Tips

Post by shadowjack »

It depends on where you are applying and whether you are freelancing or with an agency.

Usually, you identify positions at the school you both could fill and submit as a couple.
tomgreen_84

Post by tomgreen_84 »

Would it matter if we went the agency route? I have a file with Search, but I am not sure how strong my profile is because my first IT experience was fairly dysfunctional. My wife, on the other hand, is new to the IT world but is from Latin America.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If you reactivate with Search, you will need new references anyways. You don't need to list your IT experience, but if the school is known as dysfunctional and you have solid references now, it is all good.

Usually you apply at a school with openings for you and your spouse. You can send it all as one package, but with separate cover letters for the separate jobs. Make it clear you are both applying.

Search will definitely make it easier for you to identify schools with openings for both your areas.

shad