South American International Schools

Zazzlethorpe

South American International Schools

Post by Zazzlethorpe »

Hello all. I am trying to gather info for my search for a post as an elementary school teacher in 2006-07.

How important is it to speak Spanish, which I don't, for a teacher's chances for getting hired in an international school in South America?

Are classes taught in both languages? Just English? Just Spanish?

Thank you for your help.

Z
Hola

South American Schools

Post by Hola »

I'v worked at two schools in Latin America and am currently in South America. You do not have to speak Spanish to get a job.

You should checkout the AASSA conference that takes place in Florida. Association of American Schools in South America, as the name implies deals only with jobs in Latin America.

just checked the conference dates posted on International Schools Review main site and saw that AASSA has not yet announced their conference. You can find them on Google. I know the conference is early in the season and maybe in December.

Adios
Que Pasa

Working in South America

Post by Que Pasa »

To answer your question; you do not need to speak Spanish to teach in South America. Classes are in English. Outside of school not many people may speak English and that is where some Spanish language skills will come into play. It seems more people speak English in Asia than in Latin America.

Hasta la bye bye for now.
mills

Post by mills »

Have most of the schools in Latin America hired for the 2006/2007 school year?

Are there many schools in Latin America that hire to begin the school year in January or all the schools in Latin America also begin in Aug/Sept?
arabiafinesse

Re Español

Post by arabiafinesse »

My Spanish is poor, all instruction I do is in English, you will do just fine. The post by Hola is very good re ASSA in Miami.