Best teacher placement agency/job fair

carlflanders

UNI TOP NOTCH!

Post by carlflanders »

[size=18][/size]
UNI was great at doing exactly what they said they would. They were organized, the Convention Center was close to ideal, and Waterloo is a fine city. You spend 3 or 4 days there. Most of your time you are networking, researching, writing, or interviewing. There were restaurants within walking distance. We stayed at the Quality Inn. It was quiet and the continental breakfast was not only good but a great time to meet folks. The cost was reasonable unlike staying in cities like New York, San Francisco, or Cambridge. You are there to secure a job and network,not sightsee. UNI brought in 125 schools from all over the world. We are going to work for International Schools Group in Saudi Arabia. Good package, great leadership!
Peace, Carl & Tiffany
Pike

Post by Pike »

Congratulations to everyone!

My wife and I are currently living and teaching in Abidjan. We actually registered for both CIS and Search Associate. We also started the process for ISS. We felt that after paying our $200 USD for Search, one was enough. We only went with Search because of a teaching friend.

The hardest decision we made was deciding which fair to go to in London; Search or CIS two weeks later. In the end we decided to go to Search because, at the time, Search had more schools with jobs with vacancies that we felt like we were qualified for.

Despite lacking IB experience, Search encourage us to go to London, because the claimed schools do hire teachers with interest, but without experience.

It was very rough. We had a very hard time getting interviews. We managed to talk our way into three interviews. Overall, we had four (one was not really an interview- just a shotgun sell job). We lost one interview because they hired someone the morning of our interview for one the vacancies.

The guy we had an interview for personally came over to us and expressed his regrets to us(he was one of the ones we talked our way into an interview). He told us that he is really "picky" about who he interviews this early. He also said in Bangkok, he was "even more picky."

In the end, we were offered a job for Universal American School.

I think schools can afford to be picky early on. Unless they think you are a perfect fit, they will pass on you. After attending the IB fair in London, we decided in the future (even with having experience) that we would prbably attend the Search fair Cambridge. Then again, it was almost a disaster with Search--- next time we just might try ISS or CIS.

<-Pike---
It isn't how many times you fall, but how many times you get up!
worldtravel

Post by worldtravel »

I have to say, we were very happy with ISS and the New York fair. We are a couple with 4 years experience and were offered 7 interviews.

There were far less candidates than jobs, though many of the schools that we were interested in had filled their positions at the Cambridge fair. We went in targeting about 10-15 schools and about half still had our positions available. However there were many schools that left the fair with vacancies.

Overall, the vibe was much less stressful that we anticipated, though I think it had to do with the fact that much of the hiring had happened prior to the fair.

We got a handful of offers and took one in a lovely European location!

Overall, it was expensive, but none of the schools that we contacted directly contacted us, so the fair was more than necessary.
E.B. White

best fair

Post by E.B. White »

Sorry - I waited a month, but I have to say this...my wife and I went to ISS in New York and landed great jobs after networking like hell and stressing out for a good 36 hours or so. BUT, we had the best food, went shopping, walking, and saw Terrence Howard, Phylicia Rashad, James Earl Jones, Aninka Noni Rose and S. Epatha Merkerson in two phenomenal Broadway shows. You got to see Ron Steele do the news on Channel 7.
johnwest

job fairs

Post by johnwest »

I have attended both UNI and Search fairs. Both are exactly what they claim to be. They offer a connection between job seekers and schools. Both are very good at it: very organized, open and available, and generous with basic information about each school.

I have been offered numerous positions through both fairs, mainly because my certification and experience are both rather wide-ranging. I prefer UNI mainly because there are so few distractions. I am in town to get a job. I have only a few days in which to do this. I do not have time to visit the Sights. I also get to meet tons of wonderful teachers and even some wonderful admins! Search fairs tend to be smaller and people do not just hang out talking as freely as they do in Iowa.

Keep posting. I may be looking for a job in a few months and I consider all information to be valuable.

Kudos to E. B. White--very nice advice and plenty of it. Congrats on the new job! Having actually been through ISS--minus the food, shopping, walking, and shows--would you recommend the actual service at the fair?
E.B. White

job fairs

Post by E.B. White »

My wife and I have been to UNI and ISS - and I am a graduate of UNI...I would highly recommend ISS over UNI. The service is great.
specialed

Post by specialed »

What makes you prefer ISS over UNI for job fairs? I heard good and bad about New York, but would love to hear your take on the difference.

Thanks!
E.B. White

job fairs

Post by E.B. White »

I wrote a big long thing about ISS and UNI awhile back, but can't find it now, so will respond anew, though perhaps more briefly. To some extent, I see it like buying electronic equipment - I can buy it at WalMart or Target (UNI) or from a specialty store with expert staff (ISS). This is what ISS does and they do it well, and the cost is not that much more. While the UNI placement office is one of the first - or THE first - in international school placement - I always think it's like having your mother working at a job fair. Also, have to admit we had an issue at the last UNI fair we went to - a school gave us a verbal offer and then retracted it - and UNI was of absolutely no help at all. It was a horrendous, emotional experience and UNI really did nothing. ISS has consistently been professional, efficient, organized, and done the job. We have received jobs at two ISS fairs and can't think of a single criticism. And, I'm sorry to bring it up again, but why would I want to go to Waterloo, Iowa for anything if I did not have to?
specialed

Post by specialed »

Thanks for replying and I appreciate your post.

I also think that UNI is set up like you said. There are usually a lot of schools, but advice and know-how would be better at ISS. Not that UNI doesn't care, but I think ISS is more of a "professional" and can help more - if you need it. I am still considering UNI again for my next fair because they do have a lot of schools there. My concern with ISS New York was that some of the people from our school went and didn't come back with a job. My biggest nightmare would be to take the time away from school, pay a huge amount for an airline ticket/hotels and all - and end up with nothing. Oh the stress!!!! Makes me feel like a dog in a pet shop... Pick me! Pick me! and you hope your new owner (school) is really nice.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

My wife and I have attended both the UNI and an ISS Fair (Bangkok). I disagree with the Walmart/Speciality store comparison in this case. I found the fairs remarkably similar and wouldn't have any qualm about going back to either one based on staff expertise. I would however make a decision based on the history of schools that have attended the fairs and the timing of the fair.

I think it would be safe to say that both fairs offer opportunities.
Last edited by Overhere on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="Overhere"]I would however make a decision based on the history of schools that have attended the fairs and the timing of the fair.[/quote]

While its been mentioned before, I'll second this comment. In looking at possible fairs, I spent some time listing what schools attend which fairs. I tried to do it over a period of time (as much as possible). Obviously if you're not picky in terms of where you go and what type of school you'd like, the choice might not be as easy. However when I listed schools that attended UNI and Search Cambridge, I found Search had more of the type of schools I was looking for. My criteria though...
shansar

Post by shansar »

I am NOT an expert by any means but I must say the COIS/ISS Fair in Seattle was first class. We joined COIS and they are great. We were so close to going to the UNI Fair but opted out. I do have three friends that went and all got jobs. They are really nice to deal with and sure helpful. Just my experience! Goodluck! What a neat opportunity!

:D
specialed

Post by specialed »

Thanks to everyone who replied. I love the civility and the loads of great information. I love logging on and seeing what people have written!

Thanks for all of the replies :)
johnwest

job fairs

Post by johnwest »

Having just attended an ISS job fair, I can now compare it with Search and with UNI. I still prefer UNI.

Both Search and ISS fairs are held in large convention hotels in world-class cities. These are very expensive hotels. If you do not stay at the hotel, you must find a way to the fair. Same as UNI, but UNI is less expensive overall, particularly in regards to hotel rooms.

Search's database is very nice. So is UNI's. I felt that ISS did not offer me the same amount of information.

All three are professionally managed. The clencher for me is the amity in the atmosphere at UNI. It's just plain fun. There are many teachers who are looking for their first international position as well as many who have been around the block. A few times. Everyone is very friendly and willing to talk and share their experiences. Although I found a few people with whom to discuss international education at the other fairs, too many of the teachers seemed to be driven to concentrate on landing just that exact position that they sought and did not have the time to sit and talk. Perhaps they were afraid I'd take their perfect position if we spoke?

Then again, perhaps my next position, should I leave, will be attained without attendance at a job fair. The last two positions I accepted were offered via contact away from the fairs...
shansar

Post by shansar »

Johnwest was that the Bangkok Fair you just got back from?
How did that go? From what I have heard there were a lot of positions that went unfilled and more jobs open than teachers.
Good to hear your input. I know for a fact the ISS Fairs are NOT cheap adding to the pressure if you don't find that position.