Is it a challenge for a retired teacher to get hired?

Is it a challenge for a retired teacher to get hired?

Postby scottmen » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:58 am

I am planning to retire as a New York City high school English teacher within the next few years and I will have 30 years experience in a classroom. I still want to continue to teach because I love it. When I retire I will be 58 years old and I know that some schools/countries will not hire me because of my age. In that case, what countries are willing to hire a teacher a retired teacher? I am in great shape -- have run marathons. My wife, who is a teacher, still needs to work a few more years before she retires and my child will be of college age. Does anyone have have any suggestions? Thanks.
scottmen

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:01 pm

Postby scribe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:26 pm

It can be difficult but not impossible. Countries that are experiencing tremendous growth in international schools - except for China, which it is my understanding cannot bend - can be willing.
I know schools in the UAE will hire teachers in their 60s although their initial ads might post a cut off age stating that they don't. Getting in under the age of 60, however, does make it easier for them to process your visa and perhaps impact their cost of insuring you as well.
Vietnam and Thailand will also hire teachers past 60. European countries may have laws preventing age discrimination, but you would still face the hiring administrator's particular bias - depends on that person and on yourself.
The inquiry letter for my current position started with the caveat something as follows, "Your ad states that your school has a cut off age of 60 for hiring, if that is a strict rule, read no further. However, if - as is the case in my current school - you do overlook age for qualified applicants..." It worked.
I have been or worked with teachers over 60 in Central America, Kenya, several ME countries, and Vietnam. Good luck.
scribe

Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:18 am

Postby shadowjack » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:30 am

There are lots of schools that will hire teachers age 58, including schools in China. Some schools in some districts will quote you differently, but don't believe it applies to all of China - or Hong Kong or Macau. Each school has ways around it and sets their own policies. Some schools have NO age limit.

My advice - sign up for Search Associates - you get to see the age limits, etc that schools have - salary range, enrollment, etc. Best 260 bucks you will ever spend.

Good luck!
shadowjack

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:49 am

Postby scottmen » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:41 pm

This is very helpful and encouraging. Thanks!
scottmen

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:01 pm

Postby mamava » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:39 pm

For what it's worth--there are some shadings of the 60 rule. Some countries will let you work past 60 or 65 if you enter the country before you are 60. Some countries will let you in before 60 but not let you work after 65. We had a couple of colleagues/friends in that age range (and we'll be there if we decide to do 1 more move) but there can be a glitch between the ages of 60 and 65, so it's good to check that out.

We do have friends who are retiring from Myanmar this year and they are over 60 so that's another country to check out.
mamava

Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 am

Return to Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests