Ontario Cert. proc. (OCT).Time usually needed for foreigners

Boomba

Ontario Cert. proc. (OCT).Time usually needed for foreigners

Post by Boomba »

Hi,

I hope you are having a good end of the year.

I wish to know how long does it usually take for foreign teachers to get the teaching certification process entirely done with the OCT (Ontario College Teachers) when you sent all your documents.

In my case, I will send French degrees, including the Master MEEF. I know that I might need to send other papers or do some AQs (Additional qualifications) but I am curious to know if anyone had a similar experience, especially with a similar profile.

Thank you.

PS: Based on previous feedback, the 120 days announced on the website are quite inaccurate.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

About 6 months, but longer around 8-9 months isn't uncommon for more complex applications. If time is really tight and every day, week matters you can possibly shave some time off by applying to a different province first with lower wait times and then apply in Ontario as a CAN credentialed DT. Domestic applications in Ontario are processed in closer too 2-3 months. Combined your wait time would be around 4-6 months.
Boomba

Re: Ontario Cert. proc. (OCT).Time usually needed for foreig

Post by Boomba »

Thanks for your answer.

AFAIK, other provinces require to live there or to have an invitation letter from a school. I am currently in Africa.

Ontario proposes AQs to complete your application if any course is missing. I don't think any other province proposes such an option.

My worry is that I plan on leaving the school at the end of the year but my director needs to make an appraisal of 80 as a substitute of a practicum and this seems to be able to be done only after a certain step of the process, which can take months, far beyond the end of my contract.

Please, let me know if I am wrong and if you have heard of solutions.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Boomba

BC offers credentialing to ITs without PR or an appointment. Not that it would matter much, BCs wait time isnt significantly better.
Ontarios AQs arent noteworthy, all they do is provide you a deficiency report, which is no different than any other province.

I would recommend talking to your leadership and seeing if they can do the documentation post appointment and back date it to when it needs to be.
As far as CAN, No I dont have a solution for you. CAN tends to be inflexible, their isnt any shortage of DTs, thus no incentive to be especially flexible and regions such as Ontario and BC tend to be among the hardest.
I dont have a meaningful solution for you, aside from pleading your case with the OCT at the time of application and hope someone with compassion expedites it. They get pleadings for special circumstances all the time so I hope you have an especially compelling story. Outside of that the process will take longer than your current appointment.
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

Thank you.

However, I did not find out what is a DT. :)
vandsmith

Post by vandsmith »

i don't know much about your situation but it's generally a long and bumpy ride. they have to evaluate your credentials and reference them to what is required for a teacher. you could be looking at several AQs or ABQs simply to get your teachables. as PG says, there is a glut of teachers in ontario right now, and have been for years and will be for years. i left because of this. but, and it looks like you might, if you have french you might not have much of a problem - the problem could be recognizing your degree(s) and all that. you could even find yourself taking the teacher program, which a colleague who was trained in another country had to do, to be qualified to teach in ontario.

best of luck!

v.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Boomba

DT = Domestic Teacher; a teacher within their home system of education.
Boomba

Post by Boomba »

Thanks guys for your answers.
In my case, I do not wish to teach in Canada and I will clearly express it to the OCT as I work in Africa. I hope it will help. Core French is the most needed position in Canada as it is a difficult position according to the DTs. ;)

Actually, my ultimate purpose is to obtain a QTS, by equivalence. An OCT certification should do the work quite smoothly!

All the best for 2018,
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Boomba

I would NOT express to the OCT that your not intending on teaching in CAN. That moves your application to the no rush category, and mitigates any benefit French would possibly speed up the application process.