Please some advice on what job to take

Nelson

Please some advice on what job to take

Post by Nelson »

Hi,

I have been out of teaching for about 6 years or so and have decided to go back to Internationally. I realise I will be taking a pay cut but still want to do this, that being said money has some importance.

I have been offered a couple of Jobs one in Qingdao, China and the other in Myanmar ( Yangoon ).

The position in Qingdao is paying 32,304.81 US with flights and accommodation I am guessing and the one in Myanmar is paying 28600 US with flight and accommodation and 4% tax.

I have tried to look into comparing the cost of living but have been finding so much different information I am more confused as to which place is cheaper. Does anyone know where I could find this out or does anyone have any knowledge about which has better savings potential?

The interview with the Myanmar School was very comfortable and the country looks interesting so I am leaning towards it but again if anyone has any experience or advice on what would be the benefits and negatives of these places it would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Nelson
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Please some advice on what job to take

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

Can't speak to Myanmar but the salary for China is very low. That is more like an ESL salary or a 3rd tier intl' school. Also, don't assume there is an additional housing allowance or that housing is provided, make sure that it is clearly stated. If it is an allowance, check out how far that will go as you really don't want to be topping up out of your salary. The only upside is that Qingdao cost of living might be lower than cities like Beijing or Shanghai which is where my experience mainly lies.

China is a very interesting place but the potential pollution, lack of English spoken, and occasionally chaotic infrastructure means that you should be compensated very well for living/teaching ways.
gengrant

Re: Please some advice on what job to take

Post by gengrant »

Along with what wrldtrvler123 said, be sure and verify that the school in Qingdao is paying taxes - most Chinese run schools don't and the tax rate here is usually upwards of 20-25% - making that $32,000 a whole lot less.

That said, there's more to do in Qingdao - in terms of cities to live in it's the better of the two, however with all things stated the way you have, I'd call it a draw. Do your homework with the schools and get everything in writing.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I concur in general with the previous contributors. Both salaries are on the blower end of the third tier. I would also agree with @gengrant that you confirm the tax situation, as there is tax and your IS is either paying it for you, or simply not paying it at all but it is there.

Where I disagree with @gengrant is the social and entertainment options, there is a better night life and social opportunities in Yangon than in Qingdao, though Qingdao isnt some sleepy rural town . There is also a little more English in Yangon than Qingdao. Its about the same trip time to Shanghai or Bangkok if you need that kind of fun and entertainment.

Its really about the opportunities and your goals. If it were me Id take Yangon, simply because the IE scene started bubbling a few years ago and there is still a lot of opportunity, and being on site opens up a lot more options than in Qingdao. If coin is the priority however Qingdao has the better coin.
I would clarify the housing situation though in Yangon , theres a strong possibility its shared housing (you have housemates). Which may easily be a deal breaker for you.