Does the school let you know?

business88

Does the school let you know?

Post by business88 »

If you interviewed and they followed up with references, does the school usually let you know whether or not you have the position or do they go quite if you don't have it. How long does it usually take?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Sometimes, in such cases you usually get a form letter:
"Blah blah, there was a strong pool of applicants, blah blah, we picked someone else, blah blah, this is not an indication of the strength of your application, blah blah". The rest of the time they dont bother to tell you anything, which is the majority of the time.
business88

Re: Does the school let you know?

Post by business88 »

Thanks PsyGuy.

I was just wondering how quickly they would let me know, if at all, depending on their selection. Would it be inappropriate to follow up with them and ask?
business88

Post by business88 »

One of my references informed me that she hasn't heard back from the interviewer. However, the job is no longer posted on the site. Should I follow up with the interviewer?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@business88

It varies, but essentially you will know when hey know and are ready to offer you a contract. If you interviewed following up after a week and again another week later is appropriate.

You can and should followup. Either two things happened: 1) They made an offer to someone else and are waiting on a reply. 2)They liked you so much they checked less than all your references. The former rather than the latter is more probable. It would be appropriate to send them a followup email.
hurricane_nz

Post by hurricane_nz »

I found that some places will say they will let you know within a week or so then you never hear from them again, I had that with a school in Kazakhstan where I interviewed first with Head of Department who then recommended me to the Principal who I then interviewed with. Principal was talking about things like accommodation how they do that for teachers, salary etc so I thought Im in with a chance here. He said they would let me know within a week max as I was one of three candidates. I never heard from them again even after following it up just to see what their reasons were. Then as another example I had an interview a few months back with a school, went very well I thought they said it was great to talk to me and would let me know within a week. Within an hour I had a very good offer which I accepted after looking it over and since then the communication with the school via HR has been awesome. After the last year I had at my previous school how they treated teachers I cant wait to go to my new school based on my communication with them. So there really isnt an exact answer, ideally they should do the decent thing and let you know even if it is by standard email but dont worry if you dont hear from them and just keep looking, thats what I did. As soon as I got the offer I wanted it seemed many schools were all of a sudden keen on wanting to explore options with me so the right job will come up.