Age Restrictions in China

Age Restrictions in China

Postby Wonder » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm

I read somewhere that the restrictions for work visas for teachers in China include an age restriction of 65. Is that correct?

I see that a lot of schools set their restrictions much lower than that, some starting from about 55, and I assume that is to ensure that the teachers they hire will be able to remain for a reasonable amount of time if it works out that all parties would like that.

My question is related to the fact that I know of at least one former colleague teaching in China who has to be over 65. Are there exceptions? Can you be "grandfathered" in?
Wonder

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:19 am

It depends. In April a new system will go into effect. The previous work permit and foreign expert certificate will be combined into one permit. The major cities will start with this (and already have) with smaller regions being added over the next year. The new system doesnt have an age restriction but you get no points at age 65. In regions where the old rules will continue (and likely longer than a year). Then the rules are that in general: 1) Once youre in you can renew your visa up to and past 65. 2) ISs can get creative for how they apply. An application for an IT may well be denied at older ages, but would be granted for a leadership applicant, even if assigned too and hired as an IT. 3) ISs can overcome a lot of restrictions if they are willing to expend the resources.

No thats not the reason, it has to do with costs, and that at around 55 it becomes harder to get a visa application approved. Its just not worth it for the IS.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Age Restrictions in China

Postby Wonder » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks, PsyGuy. That makes sense. So is it just as expensive to renew a contract at the age of 55 if you have been hired before that age? Or is it not as expensive but more expensive than for a teacher under that age? Just wondering because I'm under 55, but approaching.
Wonder

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:54 pm

@Wonder

Its a couple of things:
1) Getting renewals on a visa is a lot less work and resources than getting one approved.
2) Things like insurance are more costly adding someone to a group policy at certain ages, and some ISs to keep their costs lower accept age limits to lower the cost of the plan.
3) Youre more likely to die, and increasing health problems impact productivity.
4) Leadership ego, your very likely to be working for leadership thats younger and less experienced than you.
5) How do you retire out?

At the end of it all, its just easier, faster, and cheaper hiring someone younger.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Re: Age Restrictions in China

Postby Simon81 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 am

If you are thinking of working in China, then you might like to read my blog, http://www.bulgariaithnoodles.blogspot.com
Simon81

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:26 am

Return to Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests