Shanghai/Hong Kong Question

mackenzierose93

Shanghai/Hong Kong Question

Post by mackenzierose93 »

Hello! I have a quick question. I currently work with adults with developmental disabilities and children who are hospitalized. I am going to be a part of an AmeriCorps program in the coming year to serve children in inner city schools by providing them with academic help and social emotional support. I took interest in working internationally while getting my teaching certification online. I saw on Reddit that someone was working in Shanghai without a teaching certification and I was wondering if anyone knew of similar programs or how I can work internationally with getting my certification. Thank you in advance :)
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Not a quick answer. You can get professional educator credentials as a fellow through AmeriCorps. In IE (International Education) there are 3 levels or tiers in regard to quality of ISs (International Schools) The bottom tier is the third tier, and its very big compared to the other two tiers (2nd tier in the middle, and 1st tier at the top. A smaller subsection of the first tier is the elite tier). Combine a lower 3rd tier IS with a hardship location such as China and those ISs leadership (an administrator) cant be very selective, and have to take what they can get. What usually happens is an ET (English language Teacher) gets a job out of Uni (University or College) to teach ESOL (English as a Language) in places like China and after sometime there wants to move up and they have a degree (in a classical subject like literature, or something more difficult to recruit for such as math) as opposed to Zhoushan basket weaving which only qualifies you to teach ESOL (and I suppose basket weaving). So this ET has a degree in something difficult to recruit for, and the IS not being able to be selective for their maths vacancy has a candidate pool of:
1) A spouse with a background in accounting who has been raising her kids for a decade and shes bored hasnt done anything in Shanghai accept hand out with other expat moms.
2) A 20 something fresh out of Uni with a degree in political science who did a 1st year college course in Algebra who cant get a job in politics and is tired of working in an insurance call center.
3) A late 20 something ET who is in China and actually has a degree in maths but without grad school cant really do anything in applied math, and they are teaching 3-5 year olds ESOL in some province of China.
None of them have professional educator qualifications, and the third candidate actually knows some math and just wants to get out of whatever rice patty farm town they are in for the big city of Shanghai. So they hire the third candidate to be their maths IT.
You can do that, depending what your degree and background is in, if there is any demand for it. Go to Daves ESL Cafe, there is a whole board dedicated to just ESOL jobs in China apply to a couple and you will start getting emails from recruiters with head shops youve never heard of or applied too. After you arrive you keep your ears open and youll find ISs that cant do any better that will give you a classroom.

The other options are equally as long a post:
First you can apply to an ACP EPP/ITT program either Teach Now out of DC or Teach Ready out of Florida, you can complete these programs globally and get a professional teaching credential.

Second, another option is to get a PGCEi which is a UK qualification that doesnt include QTS but is a working credential recognized by many lower tier ISs. A lot has already been written about them on the forum.

Third, you can apply to UT (Utah) for a level one credential without an EPP/ITT program by having an undergraduate degree and passing the subject matter PRAXIS exam (you can take the PRAXIS globally).

Fourth, there are some other esoteric options: 1) NJ will provide you a CE which is a lifetime certificate upon meeting requirements that include a 24 hour course and some testing. 2) CT will give you an initial certificate without an EPP/ITT program and two years of teaching experience. 3) MA will give you a non-renewable preliminary certificate after taking a couple exams without a EPP/ITT program.