Dependents

canadianltb

Dependents

Post by canadianltb »

Hello!
I am wondering when to mention dependents. I know that some schools care, others do not. Obviously when an application form is provided, I include them in the requested spot. However I have sent in a number of resumes and cover letters and have multiple interviews this week- should I have included dependents in my cover letter? I don't want to waste anyone's time (mine or theirs) if dependents are not even considered. I still need to reply to a few of the interview requests, so should I mention it in my next email? Or wait until the interview.
Thanks!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends what your goal is, if you want more interviews and more "ins" you bring up dependents at the interview. If your goal is not wasting time you put it in your cover letter/intro email. Usually early in the first paragraph. You list your age, ethnicity, nationality, marital and dependent status.
Thames Pirate

Re: Dependents

Post by Thames Pirate »

I would say that it depends on how much it is a deal breaker for you. If cost of living on one salary is tight or if you can't reasonably send your kid to local schools but it is not mentioned as a potential benefit, then you need to bring it up early. Admin don't want someone stressing about finances because they have kids, even in local schools, and running because of an inadequate package when they could have avoided the mess. They can also offer advice on how the local schools would work for your dependents if that is a route you are considering.

Otherwise, though, I wouldn't bring it up too early--not before an interview. The interview allows both you and admin to feel each other out. You can ask whatever questions you need about that, and you can have already won over admin so that they decide you are worth the investment of dependents in the school, etc. It should come up at the latest during the first interview, though.
Overhere

Re: Dependents

Post by Overhere »

For some schools the # of dependents is a deal breaker and sometimes its out of their control. At one point we were interviewing in the Grand Caymans, at least the 2nd in person interview after a long email exchange, and the recruiter got around to asking us about our kids. When we said we had three, the interview was over because at the time the Grand Caymans only allowed 2 per couple. Of course that policy could be different now but it just goes to show you might as well be upfront.