Single parents

Single parents

Postby pippa » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:34 am

How are single parents viewed by IS? I'm sure there are regions that are more favorable or accepting and some that aren't. Are there a lot of single parents out there?
pippa

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:16 am

Postby mamava » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:26 pm

I taught in China with several teachers who were single moms, one of whom went on to Tanzania. In Brazil we also have had single parents.
mamava

Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 am

Postby pippa » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:11 pm

Thanks mamava!

Just curious, did any have more than one child? Did they seem to struggle at all?
pippa

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:16 am

Postby admin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:32 am

The following 2 article should be of interest to you.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.c ... le_mom.htm

https://internationalschoolsreviewdiscu ... -children/

You'll find more in the Articles and Info section of the site under "Families Overseas."

Forum Mod
admin

Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:11 pm

Response

Postby PsyGuy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:56 am

They do exist, but they have harder times recruiting, its more a logistical risk for an IS as they often need more support, on top of being more expensive hires. Assuming your hired the lessor considered issue is the other faculty that often perceive single parents as more of a burden on them.
A single parent with 2+ children will likely be a non-starter at a lot of ISs.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby Scala » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:38 am

I disagree with the comment that single parents may need more support. I've worked in 4 international schools in Europe, SE Asia and the ME and have encountered more couples with problems which affect their work than struggling single parents. I don't think it would put schools off if you are the right candidate for the job - try your luck!
Scala

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:39 am

Postby PsyGuy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:36 am

Thats just Im a single parent and theres nothing wrong with us, because not every couple is perfect.

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 am

Postby Ifyousayso » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:56 am

Its a rather unfortunate truth that a single divorced parent must also consider the local culture. We,in the West have a relaxed attitude to such things as single parents but some parts of the world are rather more old fashioned. I have seen some very sad cases where children are excluded by the local contingent in the school for such reasons. The school was very reluctant to tell it's paying customers that their views are wrong and the children were simply being obedient to their fathers by excluding such children. It is important that such teachers choose their schools wisely.
Ifyousayso

Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Postby Eren24 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Having my mom only by my side for almost 20 years now since my father left us is not a big problem. She is a wonder mom to provide as everything we need in school and in everything. I think being single is not a problem it how a person will handle its self over the situation she/he have.
Eren24

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:19 pm
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Postby Wonder » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:42 pm

I don't think it is a matter of the school having a moral issue or even a social/cultural issue with single-parents. It really is as Psyguy explains that we are more expensive. Teaching couples without dependents are the least expensive. Then singles without dependents, then teaching couples with dependents, and finally singles with dependents. It's unfortunate, but it makes sense.
Wonder

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Postby Wonder » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:41 pm

So, as I stated in an earlier post, as a single with a dependent, I would be hired when a school found they still needed to fill a post after all the fairs were over. (I didn't go to any fairs this time around, so this was particularly true.)

And that is just how it played out. It all happened in a rush, like at a job fair. Suddenly, within the stretch of a day or two, I had 4 offers, was shortlisted with two other schools, and had received feelers from another 3 schools. Three of the offers were from excellent, tier one and tier two schools. All offers and potential offers were in Asia and Eastern Europe. (I didn't apply to schools in Europe due to the lack of savings potential, and I can't consider schools in the Middle East because my child's other parent won't consent to our child going there.There were only a couple of schools in Africa and South America that I could afford to consider, but I guess none of them wanted me ;-()

Just hang in there and don't stop actively looking. It is harder to get a job as a single with a dependent, but it not uncommon.
Wonder

Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Return to Forum 2. Ask Recruiting Questions, Share Information. What's on Your Mind?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests