Newly Graduated Teacher-Job Chances

agreer0906

Newly Graduated Teacher-Job Chances

Post by agreer0906 »

I have my B.A. in political science and am graduating in December with my Masters of Arts in Teaching with a K-6 licensure. I'm taking the Praxis next week to add on grades 7-8 so hopefully will be certified K-8. I'm completing my student teaching now and do have some experience as a paraprofessional in a school. I hopefully will be able to find a job in January to get more experience.

I wanted to know realistically, what are my chances of finding a job in an international school in the fall? Based on my research, I know I would need to be flexible with location, but how possible is it to find a job without having the two years of experience most places seem to want? What locations would be most likely to hire an inexperienced teacher? I've tried to search online, but can't find a lot of good info on new graduates getting jobs. Thanks!
vandsmith

Re: Newly Graduated Teacher-Job Chances

Post by vandsmith »

it's possible for sure but won't be the easiest thing. cast your net far and wide and don't be too picky (you won't have a choice anyways ;))

depending on where you live, try to make it to a fair. UNI perhaps, or the Queen's Fair. Two years is a standard for a lot of schools but there are plenty (some good, some not so good) of schools that will take a chance on a newly graduated teacher. as far as the best schools, you'll need to put in some years before you get there but mid-range schools can be decent too. hopefully you'll like it - seems like you got all the technical credentials, now you just need to get in a classroom and see if you're actually suited for teaching!

good luck!

v.
agreer0906

Post by agreer0906 »

Thanks! Going to try to make it to UNI, as I heard that's my best shot at finding a school that will hire an inexperienced teacher.

Is there one region that is more likely to hire someone without experience or it more just based on each individual school? I'd be willing to go almost anywhere, with the Middle East being my top pick.

Any advice on going with ISS or SA for someone in my situation?
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

@agreer0906,

Search Associates would only let you sign up to search as an intern if you don't have the two years experience. I don't know if schools hire intern candidates as full-time teachers.

TIEonline is another resource that you can use to find positions. There would be schools that advertise there that may take newly qualified teachers. Vandsmith is right that some of them are terrible schools and others might be okay. You have to be careful with some of the "international" schools in the Middle East that enroll primarily local students. Again, conditions vary from country to country and school to school, but you hear some terrible things.

Granted, China has some terrible schools as well that cater to local students.

Good luck.

Eion
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Agreer0906

You basically have a BA in PoliSci, with no coursework in dealing with young children, teaching young children etc. The question you will be asked is how has your MA in Teaching prepared you to teach a grade 1 to grade 6 classroom? Or, what is the difference between teaching grade 2 English and grade 3 English? How do you differentiate between a student in grade 3 at the grade 5 level, and one at a kindergarten level? Then there are some pluses, such as if you have kids, making you more able to understand what's what with them.

There are some different routes you can go.

1. Contact schools individually. The poorer the school in general (worse), the more likely you are to hear back.

2. Sign up as an intern with Search. They will either take your money and grant you access, or not. Either way it is meaningless if you can't find a school to hire you.

3. Apply to Tieonline, which costs 39 dollars. This is the path that I recommend. There are many schools on there and you are only fronting 39 bucks.

4. Stay in the US, get your two years experience, and then strike out. This is the other path I recommend. You will meet minimum requirements, you will learn so much more about classroom management and teaching in general, than overseas, and you will have more chances to move up into areas you want to move up into (i.e. Middle School rather than K to 6).

5. You could also see if you could sign up for the AASA (Atlanta) Fair in December, or the UNI fair in February. Either one might be good.

Just my two halalas,and good luck!

shad

Glerky

Post by Glerky »

Luck will be involved. However with the right attitude and a good interview you should get hired. I would focus on the Middle East, China and some places in South America.

I agree that UNI or Queens would be a good fairs for you but I would save my money and not do Search.

Look at for profit schools and you should do fine. The big thing is not to give up hope... you will have the most luck late in the game. Once you have cut your teach at a lower tier school move your way up.

Good luck.