State Certification? Other Options?

dartdac001

State Certification? Other Options?

Post by dartdac001 »

Hi!
I am wondering if there is anyone with particular experience or suggestions about obtaining certification from a State Education Jurisdiction in the United States. I have a Masters of Education in English and have taught and continue to teach in private schools (Internationally, IB & AP curriculum). As I prepare for positions elsewhere, I want to obtain a teaching certificate/licensure. I am not from the United States, Canada or UK. What options are the most viable pathways for certification? (Cost, Duration, Requirements, Prerequisites)
Thks
JudyB

Re: State Certification? Other Options?

Post by JudyB »

Hi. Every state in the United States has different requirements for out-of-state/out-of-country teachers.

Here is a link for California. I assumed you were a high school teacher, so you want to go for a single subject credential. Read through the materials and you'll notice links that take you to forms, etc. It is not an easy process.

www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl870.pdf

If you have questions, try this email address: credentials@ctc.ca.gov

My suggestion is to decide what state in the U.S. you wish to move to and then contact their department of education.

Hope that helps!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I don't think we can help you with that, this site is more about international education and teaching in schools that are overseas. JudyB seems to have some good advice for you, Good luck.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

::giggle::
dartdac001

Post by dartdac001 »

Hi!

Thanks for your reply and information @JudyB :) I appreciate taking the time to respond.

I do teach high school and I am an international school teacher. My educational credentials are acceptable for nearly all schools/jurisdictions I've worked in abroad, but with newer requirements and changes I want to get a teaching certificate. I am able to this within my home country, but that will take several years and I want to continue to work internationally while hopefully getting this certificate.

From reading other posts on this forum, California does get mentioned a lot. I'l take a look at the website you posted and will continue to do some research!

Thank you again JudyB!