Masters Programs

s0830887

Masters Programs

Post by s0830887 »

Hey guys,

I've been looking ahead a bit at further education, but I'm finding it quite difficult to sift through the masses of courses. I was just wondering if anyone had completed any MA courses that they found particularly good, useful, high quality, good value, interesting - whatever, just anything that can be a start.

I'm also keen to find out if some MA subjects have more value than others, both professionally and in gaining employment at increasingly higher quality schools. Again, with so many options it is almost impossible to differentiate between any of them.

A few options I thought looked potentially interesting:

- MA Teaching (Secondary)
- MA (Subject Area)
- MA Teaching (Subject Area) (My BA is in my current teaching subject, but my PGDE is in the subject I ultimately would like to teach, although it's incredibly specific and jobs are gold dust so I understand I need to be flexible here)
- MA Curriculum Design

Etc.

Thanks to the guys who post here - I've been a year-long lurker now and this forum has given me a lot more info and confidence than the other entry-ITs around me
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its difficult to differentiate between them, because there are very few differences. MA Education programs are all essentially scholarly C&I (Curriculum and Instruction) degree programs, they focus on either curriculum design (which is more assessment, and therefor research/statistics orientated) or Instructional meds/peds (Methodology and Pedagogy) the 'art' of organization and presentation of content delivery (sage and stage 'skill craft'). Aside from those general divisions there is little to differentiate between their various titles.

MA programs in a traditional academic area are typical taught courses that focus on conceptual mastery though individual expression (essentially writing, as opposed to assimilation and recall of information you find in undergraduate programs) as opposed to research focused programs you find in MS programs.

MS Programs focus on Research and quantitative and qualitative research skills. Often a significant portion of the program is original research and a thesis.

M.Ed programs are practitioner focused programs, they explore applications of current concepts and research to specific environments and problems. Common M.Ed differentiations are C&I generalist programs and Ed.Ld (Education Leadership) which is essentially education management and business aspects of education.

I would not approach a Masters program until you have a specific goal. Either you want to move into leadership, school counselor or library/technology education, in which case a program that is specific to that goal is advised. Otherwise a Masters that leads to an IB Teaching and Learning (T&L) certificate offers more marketability and utility. Since they increase the number of opportunities available to you. The rule is your Masters should qualify you for more than just an increase on the salary scale.
s0830887

Re: Masters Programs

Post by s0830887 »

Thanks PsyGuy. Nice response.

How do you feel about MA (Subject) vs MA (Education-related)?
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I would agree that you really should decide on a program based on your ultimate goal (kind of a backwards by design strategy). You seem to be interested in what will be the most marketable degree but it really depends on what you want to be doing/teaching for the foreseeable future. The answer to that may influence the type/subject of the degree you wish to pursue.

I have a Master in Special Education which includes both subject knowledge and teaching methods for the population I am serving. You are (probably on purpose) somewhat vague about your existing degrees and your target job (s) but I do think the devil may be in the details.

Are you looking to double up on your existing training, add a related subject area or add a new subject area? Are you looking to add subject knowledge, or methods of teaching? Again, the answer to those questions should guide your future program rather than which is better as I would say it is a wash in most cases, provided you have a reasonable combination of knowledge and methodology somewhere in your training.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You also want to consider whether your program leads to a PhD program or not. One day you might want to go for that. If it is not a concern, though, don't worry about it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@s0830887

Degree title has very little to do with pursuing a doctorate (there are various types of those) if a doctorate is your goal and MS with Thesis (big book) is preferred, but many doctoral candidates are admitted with M.Eds and MAs.

It really depends on your goals and background. Adding a MA in a subject area you already have a degree in is not going to add to your marketability. Adding a Masters in Education already having graduate study in education is going to be repeating a lot of the same material. Absent your priorities and background, (in a vacuum) the most marketable masters programs would be:

1) A Masters allows you to enter a specialized field of education, such as leadership, counselor, technology director, Librarian. Of those Leadership and a M.Ed in Ed.Ld is the most marketable as there are more vacancies in leadership.

2) A Masters that would add a new high needs content area such as ICT, Maths, Science.

3) A Masters in a Cross Curriculum preferably IB, but a North American Curriculum (CAN/USA) would increase your marketability by providing you familiarity with those curriculum systems and ultimately a larger pool of ISs.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

I really appreciate all of your replies, guys. This is something that has been bothering me for a while now and it's good to have a little clarity from more experienced teachers.

A bit more info:

My PGCE is broadly in Philosphy. Obviously, this isn't a highly prosperous subject in terms of opportunities, but I would love to get back into it. I am currently teaching Humanities, a very low-demand subject. I also have no ability/interest in teaching Maths/Sci/ICT. I'm going to continue down the humanities/philosophy route. My undergrad minor is also (broadly) psychology; that is to say I have enough credits (but not the in-classroom hours of teaching for it) to fulfill British requirements for a certified second teaching subject. I'd be potentially interested in coming round to psych, but again I haven't taught it before so my options would be limited (although an MA [Psychology-related] sounds interesting)

I don't see myself doing a PhD, and I've no *huge* interest in leadership (although I see myself essentially as a career-teacher, so I should keep that option open - who knows how I'll feel when I'm 35). I'm going to look more into MA Ed Leadership.

I think the most interesting thing for me would be something like an MA Ethics (phil/psyh combo) but not sure of the value on that. Would you be able to comment specifically on that? I want to do something interesting, but it also needs to be marketable...

Thanks again for the time. Appreciate your help.
s0830887

Post by s0830887 »

And yes, I guess I'm trying to balance my personal interest with something marketable. I am aiming to remain in British-style education, but I am totally flexible. Money is very important to me, I'll just say it, so while I want to do something that interests me, I am also looking at that salary ladder. We could debate all day about the pros and cons of that, but for now let's not ;)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@s0830887

It sounds like you "want what you want", which your going to have a very frustrating time finding. You want to stay in Humanities/Social Studies, your not ready to move into a Psychology, you really want to pursue philosophy, and you have no interest in high demand subjects but success and coin are very important to you.

I would first start by self assessing your choice in career, education isnt a strong financial pathway. Most ITs got into education to make a difference, touch the future, long vacations, couldnt do anything else and then realized their salaries and even retirement wont allow them to live in the South of France or wherever their dream vision is, so they became ITs so that they wouldnt have to deal with 'difficult' students or state testing while eventually they hope getting to live somewhere 'better' 9meaning somewhere other than where they are).

If coin is your ultimate primary goal in IE you should begin exploring leadership, they make the most coin for a given region/IS.

If you insist on staying in the classroom, I see a couple options:

1) TOK (Theory of Knowledge) is a core IB course all DIP students must take, it is a essentially a philosophy epistemology course. The issue you will have is getting IB experience with your current experience and skill set to be marketable to an IB IS in TOK.

2) Librarian is an option that would allow you to pursue epistemology, students that are doing research often need assistance posing good questions, and evaluating sources.

3) Expand your certification basis. If you want to stay in humanities your going to have to look at adding history, geography and possibly economics.

4) Look into religious studies. A number of parochial ISs will offer a religious studies course in their faith, and this may be the closest you will get to philosophy.

A Masters in Ethics/Philosophy is going to have extremely LOW marketability. A few ISs have ethics courses but its one course out of a larger teaching load, you would have to be marketable in additional fields.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

s0830887 wrote:
> I really appreciate all of your replies, guys. This is something that has
> been bothering me for a while now and it's good to have a little clarity
> from more experienced teachers.
>
> A bit more info:
>
> My PGCE is broadly in Philosphy. Obviously, this isn't a highly prosperous
> subject in terms of opportunities, but I would love to get back into it. I
> am currently teaching Humanities, a very low-demand subject. I also have no
> ability/interest in teaching Maths/Sci/ICT. I'm going to continue down the
> humanities/philosophy route. My undergrad minor is also (broadly)
> psychology; that is to say I have enough credits (but not the in-classroom
> hours of teaching for it) to fulfill British requirements for a certified
> second teaching subject. I'd be potentially interested in coming round to
> psych, but again I haven't taught it before so my options would be limited
> (although an MA [Psychology-related] sounds interesting)
>
> I don't see myself doing a PhD, and I've no *huge* interest in leadership
> (although I see myself essentially as a career-teacher, so I should keep
> that option open - who knows how I'll feel when I'm 35). I'm going to look
> more into MA Ed Leadership.
>
> I think the most interesting thing for me would be something like an MA
> Ethics (phil/psyh combo) but not sure of the value on that. Would you be
> able to comment specifically on that? I want to do something interesting,
> but it also needs to be marketable...
>
> Thanks again for the time. Appreciate your help.
------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the additional details. I would think about adding either an MA in Teaching or a subject area MA. The exact title/nature would be based on the schools that you are looking to market yourself to. If you are looking to stay in ENC schools then take at look at the exact offerings in your field in some of those top schools. If you would think about IB or American curriculum schools take a look at some of those as well and then try and find a program that would make you more marketable based on their specific offerings in your related fields.

Philosophy, ethics etc are generally going to be niche offerings and will usually go to teachers already in the school so that would involve a longer term plan of making yourself more marketable to desirable schools in a broader sense, getting hired and then moving into some of those classes as they become open. The good news is that it sounds as though you have lots of time ahead of you to put that type of plan in motion.